summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 2, 2013
I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers that I was a bit disappointed by this album. I LOVED the movie, but the soundtrack is missing some great songs (e.g., Do You Hear The People Sing, A Little Fall of Rain, the version of Look Down that takes place on the Paris streets). It felt like they had omitted some of the main ensemble songs in favour of the stars' solo pieces, but those pieces provide so much of the context of the story. I was also disappointed that Daniel Huttlestone did such a great job as Gavroche, but barely appears on the soundtrack because the Paris version of Look Down was omitted from the album and Little People was not done in full in the movie.

In the full-length film, the acting-while-singing worked really well for the film and was quite moving, but when I'm listening to the music on my own, I found the background sounds, breathing, sobbing, etc., rather distracting. Bottom line to me is if you love the music, it's better to buy the London cast recording or 25th anniversary concert rather than this soundtrack.
on January 20, 2013
I commend the actors for their efforts in their performance. Anne Hathaway's performance as Fantine was amazing.

Russell Crowe's singing was surprisingly pleasing, but he definitely no Philip Quast.

Hugh Jackman's performance as Jean Valjean can sound a little inconsistent at times, but overall a good effort.

My biggest criticism is directed toward the sound engineers.
I realize that this is a "highlights" album, but some of the tracks sound weirdly cut/truncated.

And "Do You Hear the People Sing" is NOT in this album??? REALLY, you cut THAT iconic song from the album? Boo!

There had better be a complete symphonic recording of this movie coming out soon
(i.e. the equivalent to a 2-or-3 CD Les Misérables album)

Overall, I like the music, but the highlights album editing itself could have been better executed.

It's just my honest opinion, as I own 19 different international production recordings of this musical, and I'm simply comparing this one to all the others.
I always get suspicious when a soundtrack stated as “Highlights”. For lovers of Les Miserables, I just found out that a 2 CD set of Les Miserables (Deluxe) is being released in UK on March 18, 2013. This will be the definitive and hopefully complete rendition of this soundtrack. This title is not announced on Amazon.ca yet. This one here is just the Highlights. Wait for it and you will be happy you did.
on December 20, 2013
Love the musical but this cd does not honor the richness and the scope of the theatrical versions that are available. When casting the movie they chose actors instead of singers and well, that may have worked visually but does not work here as something you would want to simply listen to. While Samantha Banks is a joy to listen to and Anne Hathaway at least provides a heart wrenching version of "I Dreamed a Dream" for the most point this CD is rather lack luster and fails to provide a palpable musical journey.

If you are looking for a CD that honors the depth and richness of the story both musically and vocally, I would suggest you look at purchasing the Les Miserable Live version, 2010 cast or the 25th anniversary version.
on August 28, 2013
If you liked the movie, you'll love the soundtrack!!! Personally I found the movie to be far more emotionally intense than some of the stage plays. I realize that a play can't reflect in grandeur what a movie can, but I believe the fact that this wasn't dubbed but done live gives it an ambiance you'd find in a play. Though some may find the voices in the Broadway play more pure, I find their is much more raw emotion here. The cd is a joy to listen to again and again, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who finds Les Miserables stirring and enjoyable
on January 4, 2013
If you loved the movie, then you will love this cd. If you are a huge fan of the broadway show you might as well get one of those cds, as the singing is stronger.
on February 27, 2013
I agree with others that they missed a few of the best songs. I can not believe that "Do You Hear The People Sing" isn't included! I was so excited to buy the cd that I didn't look at the listing of song...had I seen that some of my favorites were missing, I may have not bought it. That being said, I am really enjoying the cd....just wish there was more!
on July 12, 2013
Fantastic love to listen to it, not for everyone , must love musicals and be open minded to listen to it , I like Les Mis more than Phantom and I have the soundtrack from that as well.
on May 4, 2015
Such an amazing movie. I love the songs. The only thing is that it has select songs from the movie it is not an complete soundtrack but it has a decent selection.
on February 11, 2013
The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because I wanted more songs from the movie but I realize it would be difficult to fit a 3 hour movie only one CD!