5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
If you loved the movie, then you will love this cd. If you are a huge fan of the broadway show you might as well get one of those cds, as the singing is stronger.
Published 20 months ago by H. Fischer

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but misses some key songs
Published 20 months ago by Maggie (from Canada)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but misses some key songs, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers that I was a bit disappointed by this album. I LOVED the movie, but the soundtrack is missing some great songs (e.g., Do You Hear The People Sing, A Little Fall of Rain, the version of Look Down that takes place on the Paris streets). It felt like they had omitted some of the main ensemble songs in favour of the stars' solo pieces, but those pieces provide so much of the context of the story. I was also disappointed that Daniel Huttlestone did such a great job as Gavroche, but barely appears on the soundtrack because the Paris version of Look Down was omitted from the album and Little People was not done in full in the movie.

In the full-length film, the acting-while-singing worked really well for the film and was quite moving, but when I'm listening to the music on my own, I found the background sounds, breathing, sobbing, etc., rather distracting. Bottom line to me is if you love the music, it's better to buy the London cast recording or 25th anniversary concert rather than this soundtrack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weirdly edited and "Do You Hear the People Sing" Omitted?, Jan. 20 2013
Anna K. (Toronto, Ontario CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
I commend the actors for their efforts in their performance. Anne Hathaway's performance as Fantine was amazing.

Russell Crowe's singing was surprisingly pleasing, but he definitely no Philip Quast.

Hugh Jackman's performance as Jean Valjean can sound a little inconsistent at times, but overall a good effort.

My biggest criticism is directed toward the sound engineers.
I realize that this is a "highlights" album, but some of the tracks sound weirdly cut/truncated.

And "Do You Hear the People Sing" is NOT in this album??? REALLY, you cut THAT iconic song from the album? Boo!

There had better be a complete symphonic recording of this movie coming out soon
(i.e. the equivalent to a 2-or-3 CD Les Misérables album)

Overall, I like the music, but the highlights album editing itself could have been better executed.

It's just my honest opinion, as I own 19 different international production recordings of this musical, and I'm simply comparing this one to all the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables (Highlights): A 2 CD Deluxe Edition of Les Miserables announced in UK! Wait for it!, Feb. 19 2013
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
I always get suspicious when a soundtrack stated as “Highlights”. For lovers of Les Miserables, I just found out that a 2 CD set of Les Miserables (Deluxe) is being released in UK on March 18, 2013. This will be the definitive and hopefully complete rendition of this soundtrack. This title is not announced on Amazon.ca yet. This one here is just the Highlights. Wait for it and you will be happy you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Jan. 4 2013
H. Fischer - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Weakest Version of Les Miserables, Dec 20 2013
Joseph M. Lauzon "signal" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
Love the musical but this cd does not honor the richness and the scope of the theatrical versions that are available. When casting the movie they chose actors instead of singers and well, that may have worked visually but does not work here as something you would want to simply listen to. While Samantha Banks is a joy to listen to and Anne Hathaway at least provides a heart wrenching version of "I Dreamed a Dream" for the most point this CD is rather lack luster and fails to provide a palpable musical journey.

If you are looking for a CD that honors the depth and richness of the story both musically and vocally, I would suggest you look at purchasing the Les Miserable Live version, 2010 cast or the 25th anniversary version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great audio montage, Oct. 6 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
Movie soundtrack of the first live recorded musical ever on film! Sublime. I like that it's so much shorter than previous versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, impressive, great rendition, Aug. 28 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
If you liked the movie, you'll love the soundtrack!!! Personally I found the movie to be far more emotionally intense than some of the stage plays. I realize that a play can't reflect in grandeur what a movie can, but I believe the fact that this wasn't dubbed but done live gives it an ambiance you'd find in a play. Though some may find the voices in the Broadway play more pure, I find their is much more raw emotion here. The cd is a joy to listen to again and again, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who finds Les Miserables stirring and enjoyable

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Mes Soundtrack, July 12 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
Fantastic love to listen to it, not for everyone , must love musicals and be open minded to listen to it , I like Les Mis more than Phantom and I have the soundtrack from that as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, July 9 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
great musical and I love these songs but the songs on this CD are cut short and thats a little disappointing

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 21 2013
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
Although in the movie these songs were stunning, the emotions did not make it to the CD. All in all the singing was pedestrian. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Les Miserables
Les Miserables by Soundtrack (Audio CD - 2012)