5.0 out of 5 stars My travelling abroad card

Published 12 months ago by BCtraveler

5.0 out of 5 stars My travelling abroad card, April 2 2013
rkim (mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I got this card specifically for the no foreign FX currency surcharges for a recent trip to Europe. You are charged the visa interbank rate for currency conversion and that's it. Other cards like Amex will tack on a 2.7% surcharge and CIBC visa 2.5% on top of the currency conversion. I used it as my primary card in Spain this past March. The currency conversion was around 1.33 for the Euro on my Amazon visa purchases which was excellent. Compare this to RBC who charged me 1.4 !! to convert Canadian to Euros prior to me leaving on my trip at my local bank branch.

No annual fees and automatic crediting of the 1% rebate what is not to like.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca VISA card, April 11 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Got this card for the great exchange rate on the US dollar as I'm a snowbird. But I find Chase, the company behind this card, is a little behind the times. No electronic billing, only by snail mail, and no automatic payments. Each month you must manually pay the bill. This is rather annoying when you're travelling months at a time. All my other cards, Mastercard, Amex, etc. send out statements via email and automatically withdraw the payment from my bank. I don't have to get involved. Chase should get with the times and do the same thing. Then I would use their card year round, not just when I'm down in the States.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card for USA bound Canadians, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
This is a great card for Canadians who shop in the USA as you won't pay the additional fees for charging purchases in US currency.

Likes:

No Fee - My number one deciding factor on a credit card. Unless the rewards are highly lucrative, why pay annual fees when there are a number of rewards cards that have no fee. It is easy to find a credit card that has no fee and returns 1%

Rewards - My second most important factor. This works out to 1% return on most purchases and 2% return on Amazon.ca. Pay attention though, this 2% return is on the Amazon.ca purchases. They have *conveniently* not stated that you get the same on Amazon.com so expect it would only be 1%. As you know, there are many more items on the .COM site.

Dislikes:

-High interest rate. However, I highly recommend to always pay your credit cards off monthly. Get a line of credit if you need a loan.

-I was interested and clicked on the link immediately. However, I do not like that they do not tell us if you get the 2% return on the amazon.COM.

-The colour. Green? Ok pretty weak dislike.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service, April 10 2013
Jeremy Janzen "Jeremy" (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Good: This card has a good exchange rate for those who buy products/services out of Canada.

Bad: The phone and security services are atrocious. I called twice in one month and both times when I navigated the voice-prompts to talk to a real person, the system hung up on me. Before it hung up, a message played saying "If you feel you were hung up on in error, we are sorry!". Ok, well that is not helpful at all! The only way I could talk to someone was to choose the option for a credit increase. Completely unacceptable.

Security service is another mess. I've had countless payments declined on this card. I make a payment via Paypal to the UK once per month. Every single time, this payment is declined. Calling security doesn't make a difference - they can put the payment through but it will still be blocked next time. A total nightmare. Last month a pre-authorized US payment for $9.95 bounced! Literally for no reason I can determine (they can't either).

Honestly I've saved some money on exchange rate using this card but its also been a major headache.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy payment, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
To those whose complaint is the hussle of paying manually I can say that I actually find it quite easy to pay my balance. I just have the card in the "Payee" list of my bank. I pay it just the same way I pay for Rogers, my hydro and other bills.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around Visa card, April 11 2013
rj - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I have only had this card for 8 months and so far I am quite pleased with it. I often shop at Amazon.ca and the 2% cash back is great. I even have many of my bill payments charged automatically to the card to get the 1% cash back, and I pay it off each month so the interest rate is of no concern. To date I have earned $100 in cash back without paying any fees or interest. Being able to use it abroad without foreign currency fees will be nice too, although I won't be doing that for the first time until June. Automatic interest-free financing on larger Amazon.ca purchases is also a great feature.

My main complaints with it involve the website. Paperless billing is not available, which is odd in this day and age of being green. Automatic payment of the balance from my chequing account is also not an option so I have to pay it manually. Usually that is not an issue but it was once in the past with another card when I was hospitalized for a month. I would also like to be notified when my payment is posted to the account, but that is not an available alert.

I also think the card itself is visually unappealing, like a second-rate gas card, but that is a very minor issue.

Overall I think it is a good card and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Visa card.

1.0 out of 5 stars lousy company; lousy card, Sept. 10 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Chase doesn't seem interested in either correct math or in customer service. After a calculation error three months ago, which I was assured they had fixed, the error and its attendant interest charges have appeared on ever subsequent bill. Many phone calls on my part later, I'm just cancelling. Nor did they seem at all worried to be losing a customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great card if you want your web account locked., Oct. 14 2013
Allan (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I've invested 60 minutes of time - calls for problems related to a Visa card that have nothing to do with me.
Some background - I have a near perfect credit score (>750). I never had fraudulent charges on my account.

I have had my account locked three times for "fraudulent transactions detected at random." This was for purchasing software with my credit card - legal, non-pirated, software (GOG dot com). I had my account locked twice in nine days - no access to my web account until I call Chase/Amazon. This lockout was for the same "fraudulent charge." Next time my account was locked. For Pitney Bowes charges for an Ebay transaction. Chase/Amazon has made using this card a stressful event. I never know when my account will be locked out resulting in a talk with Sophie, or Gladys or whichever super chipper "fraud division expert" to which Chase will connect me.

I thought the zero extra charge on US dollar transactions was a worthwhile feature in a credit card. It is a worthwhile feature had I not wasted so much time making calls to verify legal transactions. I wouldn't be dissatisfied had any of these charges (totalling $30 CDN) actually been fraudulent.

I will transition all my payments and usage away from this card and company - there is nothing good about a card that comes with time wasting customer service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great card for US shopping, May 16 2013
Darkev (Gatineau, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Whether you shop the US online or travel to the US to shop, this card saves money as there are no extra fees charged on top of the exchange rate. The online website has alert settings that you can tweak to your desires. Such as email alert when you are nearing your credit limit. The online website offers Quicken download format of the transactions. There is no monthly fee on this card.

The only reason I did not give this card 5 stars is because of the outdated computer programming on their system. They still require statements to be mailed. They don't offer paperless billing unless you are going away, and they can only leave the statement printing turned off for 6 months. It seems quite a shame as it's costly for Chase to be spending money on the paper and postage to mail statements each month. It's slower than online. It wastes trees. These days with all of the planetary concerns over waste and pollution it surprises me that all companies would not offer online statements. I always pay my bills manually so not having the recurring auto-payment feature is OK for my situation. I feel I'm adding needlessly to the pollution and debris on our planet.

I like to download my transactions from the bank and have them automatically reconcile in my financial software. I use MoneyDance, but there are plenty of other financial software programs on the market that all seem to use the standard OFX or QFX to accept files. The amazon.ca VISA website does not offer OFX or QFX. They offer QIF, comma delimited, and tab delimited only. For me this causes a lot of extra work to reconcile my credit card statement. The QIF file works best for my needs, but it forces me to reconcile transactions that have already been reconciled. If I had 50 transactions, each week when I download my transactions I have to re-accept transactions that are already cleared on my card. It would not take that much work on their behalf to offer the newer and more common QFX or OFX download option. QIF is supposed to be phased out according to Quicken, so I don't know why it's being used. None of the other financial institutions I deal with have this issue.

I will come back and upgrade my rating and review should Chase decide to step into the future a little better. Due to these limitations of the card, I feel I'm better off using my original PC Mastercard as it offers paperless billing and QFX downloading and the same monetary rewards for using the card. The only benefit to the amazon.ca Visa is the exchange rate is not cushioned with additional bank fees. I will keep the card and likely use it just for that purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good reward that don't quite make up for the hassle factor of this ugly card, April 29 2013
Amazon Customer "The Dave" (Kelowna, BC CA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
This card seems like a great idea. Unfortunately it's backed by Chase Canada, who has a number of flaws.

1) My card gets cut off for suspicious activity constantly. Last month it was due to a recurring transaction that wasn't suspicious the last few months, but suddenly became suspicious last month. This month it was due to transactions on Amazon itself that were suspicious.

2) When the above happens, they don't notify me at all. They claim they call, and the first couple times it happened they did, but the last 2-3 lockouts, I had no call at all. They verify contact every time I call in, and my phone number on their files is definitely correct. I might have missed a call, but my voicemail didn't.

3) It's ugly as sin. I know that's a stupid complaint, but I feel embarrassed to use the card in person and so I don't, this has turned into my online-only credit card.

4) There's no online billing. Really. You can view your transactions (including preauths, major points here!) but you still get multiple pieces of paper every month and no downloadable statement for digital record keeping.

To it's credit, payments are processed very quickly (if I enter the payment from online banking before 3pm one day, it will clear the next business day, and once it was same-day. Impressive)

The rewards are 1% for most transactions (good), 2% for Amazon.ca transactions (great!), but sadly, just 1% for Kindle transactions because Amazon runs these through Amazon.com instead of .ca. A bit of a disappointment since I spend a reasonable amount on Kindle books. Oh and they automatically credit the rewards every month, in $20 increments, which is awesome! Way better than my other rewards card which mails a cheque once a year.

Unfortunately there is no extended warranty, loss/theft protection or anything else that most modern credit cards have. However, given that there is no annual fee and a higher than average reward percentage, this is forgivable, I just keep two cards and use the appropriate one depending on whether I want an extended warranty (electronics, etc) or rewards (do I need to double the warranty on a hamburger?)

ARRAY(0xbc37cf6c)