5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is
This credit card fills two very specific niches very well: Foreign purchases (i.e.: non-$CDN), and purchases on Amazon.ca.

The lack of foreign exchange fees is like getting 2.5% cash back instantly, when compared to using most other credit cards. The 2% reward at Amazon is pretty good for a no-fee card.

This card does not strike me as though it...
Published 16 months ago by B. Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars IMPROPER CHARGE OF INTEREST
Published 15 months ago by Dolores Pargana

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is, July 29 2013
B. Jones (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)

This card does not strike me as though it would be a terribly good everyday card. You can get higher limits, better service, more rewards and more flexibility with other no-fee rewards cards in Canada.

This card does very well at the niches it tries to fill, but is otherwise probably not your best choice.

TIP: When purchasing online or at "machines" in the USA, e.g.: pay at the pump gas pumps, if asked for your zip code try entering the 3 digits of your postal code, followed by '00' (that's zero zero). E.g.: C3P 5B7 could be entered as 35700.

5.0 out of 5 stars My travelling abroad card, April 2 2013
rkim (mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I got this card specifically for the no foreign FX currency surcharges for a recent trip to Europe. You are charged the visa interbank rate for currency conversion and that's it. Other cards like Amex will tack on a 2.7% surcharge and CIBC visa 2.5% on top of the currency conversion. I used it as my primary card in Spain this past March. The currency conversion was around 1.33 for the Euro on my Amazon visa purchases which was excellent. Compare this to RBC who charged me 1.4 !! to convert Canadian to Euros prior to me leaving on my trip at my local bank branch.

No annual fees and automatic crediting of the 1% rebate what is not to like.

1.0 out of 5 stars IMPROPER CHARGE OF INTEREST, Sept. 4 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I have been away from home for a while. Since I cannot see my physical account statements, I checked my account online at the beginning of August to check my statement balance for July 27; it showed zero balance; my visa car expense had not yet been posted, therefore, I didn't make any payment. Today I checked my August statement and to my surprise, I am charged interest for July and August. I checked again my July statement and it now shows that my visa car expense was posted on July 19.

This is not acceptable. I want some explanation why my July statement showed zero balance initially and now shows a post made on the 19th that didn't show on August 10th when I checked my July statement.

I am going to make a payment of my visa car expense and nothing else. If all the interest showed on my account is not credited. I will cancel the credit card.

Dolore Pargana

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy payment, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
To those whose complaint is the hussle of paying manually I can say that I actually find it quite easy to pay my balance. I just have the card in the "Payee" list of my bank. I pay it just the same way I pay for Rogers, my hydro and other bills.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around Visa card, April 11 2013
rj - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I have only had this card for 8 months and so far I am quite pleased with it. I often shop at Amazon.ca and the 2% cash back is great. I even have many of my bill payments charged automatically to the card to get the 1% cash back, and I pay it off each month so the interest rate is of no concern. To date I have earned $100 in cash back without paying any fees or interest. Being able to use it abroad without foreign currency fees will be nice too, although I won't be doing that for the first time until June. Automatic interest-free financing on larger Amazon.ca purchases is also a great feature.

My main complaints with it involve the website. Paperless billing is not available, which is odd in this day and age of being green. Automatic payment of the balance from my chequing account is also not an option so I have to pay it manually. Usually that is not an issue but it was once in the past with another card when I was hospitalized for a month. I would also like to be notified when my payment is posted to the account, but that is not an available alert.

I also think the card itself is visually unappealing, like a second-rate gas card, but that is a very minor issue.

Overall I think it is a good card and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Visa card.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service, April 10 2013
Jeremy Janzen "Jeremy" (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Good: This card has a good exchange rate for those who buy products/services out of Canada.

Bad: The phone and security services are atrocious. I called twice in one month and both times when I navigated the voice-prompts to talk to a real person, the system hung up on me. Before it hung up, a message played saying "If you feel you were hung up on in error, we are sorry!". Ok, well that is not helpful at all! The only way I could talk to someone was to choose the option for a credit increase. Completely unacceptable.

Security service is another mess. I've had countless payments declined on this card. I make a payment via Paypal to the UK once per month. Every single time, this payment is declined. Calling security doesn't make a difference - they can put the payment through but it will still be blocked next time. A total nightmare. Last month a pre-authorized US payment for $9.95 bounced! Literally for no reason I can determine (they can't either).

Honestly I've saved some money on exchange rate using this card but its also been a major headache.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca VISA card, April 11 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Got this card for the great exchange rate on the US dollar as I'm a snowbird. But I find Chase, the company behind this card, is a little behind the times. No electronic billing, only by snail mail, and no automatic payments. Each month you must manually pay the bill. This is rather annoying when you're travelling months at a time. All my other cards, Mastercard, Amex, etc. send out statements via email and automatically withdraw the payment from my bank. I don't have to get involved. Chase should get with the times and do the same thing. Then I would use their card year round, not just when I'm down in the States.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great card if you want your web account locked., Oct. 14 2013
Allan (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I've invested 60 minutes of time - calls for problems related to a Visa card that have nothing to do with me.
Some background - I have a near perfect credit score (>750). I never had fraudulent charges on my account.

I have had my account locked three times for "fraudulent transactions detected at random." This was for purchasing software with my credit card - legal, non-pirated, software (GOG dot com). I had my account locked twice in nine days - no access to my web account until I call Chase/Amazon. This lockout was for the same "fraudulent charge." Next time my account was locked. For Pitney Bowes charges for an Ebay transaction. Chase/Amazon has made using this card a stressful event. I never know when my account will be locked out resulting in a talk with Sophie, or Gladys or whichever super chipper "fraud division expert" to which Chase will connect me.

I thought the zero extra charge on US dollar transactions was a worthwhile feature in a credit card. It is a worthwhile feature had I not wasted so much time making calls to verify legal transactions. I wouldn't be dissatisfied had any of these charges (totalling $30 CDN) actually been fraudulent.

I will transition all my payments and usage away from this card and company - there is nothing good about a card that comes with time wasting customer service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great card for US shopping, May 16 2013
Darkev (Gatineau, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Whether you shop the US online or travel to the US to shop, this card saves money as there are no extra fees charged on top of the exchange rate. The online website has alert settings that you can tweak to your desires. Such as email alert when you are nearing your credit limit. The online website offers Quicken download format of the transactions. There is no monthly fee on this card.

The only reason I did not give this card 5 stars is because of the outdated computer programming on their system. They still require statements to be mailed. They don't offer paperless billing unless you are going away, and they can only leave the statement printing turned off for 6 months. It seems quite a shame as it's costly for Chase to be spending money on the paper and postage to mail statements each month. It's slower than online. It wastes trees. These days with all of the planetary concerns over waste and pollution it surprises me that all companies would not offer online statements. I always pay my bills manually so not having the recurring auto-payment feature is OK for my situation. I feel I'm adding needlessly to the pollution and debris on our planet.

I like to download my transactions from the bank and have them automatically reconcile in my financial software. I use MoneyDance, but there are plenty of other financial software programs on the market that all seem to use the standard OFX or QFX to accept files. The amazon.ca VISA website does not offer OFX or QFX. They offer QIF, comma delimited, and tab delimited only. For me this causes a lot of extra work to reconcile my credit card statement. The QIF file works best for my needs, but it forces me to reconcile transactions that have already been reconciled. If I had 50 transactions, each week when I download my transactions I have to re-accept transactions that are already cleared on my card. It would not take that much work on their behalf to offer the newer and more common QFX or OFX download option. QIF is supposed to be phased out according to Quicken, so I don't know why it's being used. None of the other financial institutions I deal with have this issue.

I will come back and upgrade my rating and review should Chase decide to step into the future a little better. Due to these limitations of the card, I feel I'm better off using my original PC Mastercard as it offers paperless billing and QFX downloading and the same monetary rewards for using the card. The only benefit to the amazon.ca Visa is the exchange rate is not cushioned with additional bank fees. I will keep the card and likely use it just for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent card, great service and benefits, May 10 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
This visa card is very convenient, it is accepted everywhere that credit cards are accepted, conveniently uses a chip and paypass for faster service and has a great benefit of CASHBACK using a point system.

In the event of fraudulent activity, the customer service team has been very kind to me in helping to resolve my issue for me.