5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is
This credit card fills two very specific niches very well: Foreign purchases (i.e.: non-$CDN), and purchases on Amazon.ca.

The lack of foreign exchange fees is like getting 2.5% cash back instantly, when compared to using most other credit cards. The 2% reward at Amazon is pretty good for a no-fee card.

This card does not strike me as though it...
Published 13 months ago by B. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service
Good: This card has a good exchange rate for those who buy products/services out of Canada.

Published 17 months ago by Jeremy Janzen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is, July 29 2013
B. Jones (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)

This card does not strike me as though it would be a terribly good everyday card. You can get higher limits, better service, more rewards and more flexibility with other no-fee rewards cards in Canada.

This card does very well at the niches it tries to fill, but is otherwise probably not your best choice.

TIP: When purchasing online or at "machines" in the USA, e.g.: pay at the pump gas pumps, if asked for your zip code try entering the 3 digits of your postal code, followed by '00' (that's zero zero). E.g.: C3P 5B7 could be entered as 35700.

5.0 out of 5 stars My travelling abroad card, April 2 2013
rkim (mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I got this card specifically for the no foreign FX currency surcharges for a recent trip to Europe. You are charged the visa interbank rate for currency conversion and that's it. Other cards like Amex will tack on a 2.7% surcharge and CIBC visa 2.5% on top of the currency conversion. I used it as my primary card in Spain this past March. The currency conversion was around 1.33 for the Euro on my Amazon visa purchases which was excellent. Compare this to RBC who charged me 1.4 !! to convert Canadian to Euros prior to me leaving on my trip at my local bank branch.

No annual fees and automatic crediting of the 1% rebate what is not to like.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around Visa card, April 11 2013
rj - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I have only had this card for 8 months and so far I am quite pleased with it. I often shop at Amazon.ca and the 2% cash back is great. I even have many of my bill payments charged automatically to the card to get the 1% cash back, and I pay it off each month so the interest rate is of no concern. To date I have earned $100 in cash back without paying any fees or interest. Being able to use it abroad without foreign currency fees will be nice too, although I won't be doing that for the first time until June. Automatic interest-free financing on larger Amazon.ca purchases is also a great feature.

My main complaints with it involve the website. Paperless billing is not available, which is odd in this day and age of being green. Automatic payment of the balance from my chequing account is also not an option so I have to pay it manually. Usually that is not an issue but it was once in the past with another card when I was hospitalized for a month. I would also like to be notified when my payment is posted to the account, but that is not an available alert.

I also think the card itself is visually unappealing, like a second-rate gas card, but that is a very minor issue.

Overall I think it is a good card and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Visa card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy payment, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
To those whose complaint is the hussle of paying manually I can say that I actually find it quite easy to pay my balance. I just have the card in the "Payee" list of my bank. I pay it just the same way I pay for Rogers, my hydro and other bills.

5.0 out of 5 stars I swear, this credit card was made for me., May 17 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I am a little bit in love with this credit card.

I'm a faithful Amazon shopper, so getting double points on Amazon is great, but even without that, I was surprised how quickly the points add up. I've only been using the card for about 6 months, and I've auto redeemed my points three times already (that makes for $60 off of my bill). My other credit cards have never payed me like that before.

The reason I actually got the card, though, is because it is the only credit card in Canada that doesn't charge that pesky 2.5% exchange fee when buying items in other countries. I know 2.5% isn't really a lot, but I used to limit my credit card use in other countries to avoid the fee, which meant carrying around extra cash. Now I don't need to worry about that, because I can use my amazon.ca visa anywhere in the world, and know that my purchase will be converted at the daily exchange rate, with no additional fee. What a relief!

I've only had to call once (I locked myself out of the online sign up), but they were super helpful and very pleasant to deal with.

I've recommended this card to pretty much everyone. Love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service, April 10 2013
Jeremy Janzen "Jeremy" (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)

Bad: The phone and security services are atrocious. I called twice in one month and both times when I navigated the voice-prompts to talk to a real person, the system hung up on me. Before it hung up, a message played saying "If you feel you were hung up on in error, we are sorry!". Ok, well that is not helpful at all! The only way I could talk to someone was to choose the option for a credit increase. Completely unacceptable.

Security service is another mess. I've had countless payments declined on this card. I make a payment via Paypal to the UK once per month. Every single time, this payment is declined. Calling security doesn't make a difference - they can put the payment through but it will still be blocked next time. A total nightmare. Last month a pre-authorized US payment for $9.95 bounced! Literally for no reason I can determine (they can't either).

Honestly I've saved some money on exchange rate using this card but its also been a major headache.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca VISA card, April 11 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Got this card for the great exchange rate on the US dollar as I'm a snowbird. But I find Chase, the company behind this card, is a little behind the times. No electronic billing, only by snail mail, and no automatic payments. Each month you must manually pay the bill. This is rather annoying when you're travelling months at a time. All my other cards, Mastercard, Amex, etc. send out statements via email and automatically withdraw the payment from my bank. I don't have to get involved. Chase should get with the times and do the same thing. Then I would use their card year round, not just when I'm down in the States.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card for USA bound Canadians, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
This is a great card for Canadians who shop in the USA as you won't pay the additional fees for charging purchases in US currency.

Likes:

No Fee - My number one deciding factor on a credit card. Unless the rewards are highly lucrative, why pay annual fees when there are a number of rewards cards that have no fee. It is easy to find a credit card that has no fee and returns 1%

Rewards - My second most important factor. This works out to 1% return on most purchases and 2% return on Amazon.ca. Pay attention though, this 2% return is on the Amazon.ca purchases. They have *conveniently* not stated that you get the same on Amazon.com so expect it would only be 1%. As you know, there are many more items on the .COM site.

Dislikes:

-High interest rate. However, I highly recommend to always pay your credit cards off monthly. Get a line of credit if you need a loan.

-I was interested and clicked on the link immediately. However, I do not like that they do not tell us if you get the 2% return on the amazon.COM.

-The colour. Green? Ok pretty weak dislike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a secondary card and travel card., May 12 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I use this card only when I am doing foreign currency transactions or buying things on amazon.ca. Saved me a lot of money on trips abroad and visa is accepted all over Europe/Asia.
For everything else, I use other cards since I prefer rewards in other programs. Most of my purchases on amazon.ca are small ticket items such as cables, etc so the it is easy to get some free items quite regularly with the credit every few months.
Online website is very basic but I am not complaining like some other reviewers because this is a zero annual free card. I pay all my bills manually anyways. Before going on a trip, I just send a secure message using the website giving them the destination and dates of traveling. Haven't had any issues so far. This way I can choose to carry very little foreign currency on me.
My TD infinite visa blocked a Airbnb transaction in CAD dollars for some reason once. This card went through without a hassle.
Overall I am pleased with this card as it meets my expectations. However if you want to use it as a primary card , you can likely do better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great card for US shopping, May 16 2013
Darkev (Gatineau, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Whether you shop the US online or travel to the US to shop, this card saves money as there are no extra fees charged on top of the exchange rate. The online website has alert settings that you can tweak to your desires. Such as email alert when you are nearing your credit limit. The online website offers Quicken download format of the transactions. There is no monthly fee on this card.

The only reason I did not give this card 5 stars is because of the outdated computer programming on their system. They still require statements to be mailed. They don't offer paperless billing unless you are going away, and they can only leave the statement printing turned off for 6 months. It seems quite a shame as it's costly for Chase to be spending money on the paper and postage to mail statements each month. It's slower than online. It wastes trees. These days with all of the planetary concerns over waste and pollution it surprises me that all companies would not offer online statements. I always pay my bills manually so not having the recurring auto-payment feature is OK for my situation. I feel I'm adding needlessly to the pollution and debris on our planet.

I like to download my transactions from the bank and have them automatically reconcile in my financial software. I use MoneyDance, but there are plenty of other financial software programs on the market that all seem to use the standard OFX or QFX to accept files. The amazon.ca VISA website does not offer OFX or QFX. They offer QIF, comma delimited, and tab delimited only. For me this causes a lot of extra work to reconcile my credit card statement. The QIF file works best for my needs, but it forces me to reconcile transactions that have already been reconciled. If I had 50 transactions, each week when I download my transactions I have to re-accept transactions that are already cleared on my card. It would not take that much work on their behalf to offer the newer and more common QFX or OFX download option. QIF is supposed to be phased out according to Quicken, so I don't know why it's being used. None of the other financial institutions I deal with have this issue.

I will come back and upgrade my rating and review should Chase decide to step into the future a little better. Due to these limitations of the card, I feel I'm better off using my original PC Mastercard as it offers paperless billing and QFX downloading and the same monetary rewards for using the card. The only benefit to the amazon.ca Visa is the exchange rate is not cushioned with additional bank fees. I will keep the card and likely use it just for that purpose.