5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is
This credit card fills two very specific niches very well: Foreign purchases (i.e.: non-$CDN), and purchases on Amazon.ca.

The lack of foreign exchange fees is like getting 2.5% cash back instantly, when compared to using most other credit cards. The 2% reward at Amazon is pretty good for a no-fee card.

This card does not strike me as though it...
Published 11 months ago by B. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service
Good: This card has a good exchange rate for those who buy products/services out of Canada.

Published 15 months ago by Jeremy Janzen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is, July 29 2013
B. Jones (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)

This card does not strike me as though it would be a terribly good everyday card. You can get higher limits, better service, more rewards and more flexibility with other no-fee rewards cards in Canada.

This card does very well at the niches it tries to fill, but is otherwise probably not your best choice.

TIP: When purchasing online or at "machines" in the USA, e.g.: pay at the pump gas pumps, if asked for your zip code try entering the 3 digits of your postal code, followed by '00' (that's zero zero). E.g.: C3P 5B7 could be entered as 35700.

5.0 out of 5 stars My travelling abroad card, April 2 2013
rkim (mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I got this card specifically for the no foreign FX currency surcharges for a recent trip to Europe. You are charged the visa interbank rate for currency conversion and that's it. Other cards like Amex will tack on a 2.7% surcharge and CIBC visa 2.5% on top of the currency conversion. I used it as my primary card in Spain this past March. The currency conversion was around 1.33 for the Euro on my Amazon visa purchases which was excellent. Compare this to RBC who charged me 1.4 !! to convert Canadian to Euros prior to me leaving on my trip at my local bank branch.

No annual fees and automatic crediting of the 1% rebate what is not to like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy payment, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
To those whose complaint is the hussle of paying manually I can say that I actually find it quite easy to pay my balance. I just have the card in the "Payee" list of my bank. I pay it just the same way I pay for Rogers, my hydro and other bills.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around Visa card, April 11 2013
rj - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I have only had this card for 8 months and so far I am quite pleased with it. I often shop at Amazon.ca and the 2% cash back is great. I even have many of my bill payments charged automatically to the card to get the 1% cash back, and I pay it off each month so the interest rate is of no concern. To date I have earned $100 in cash back without paying any fees or interest. Being able to use it abroad without foreign currency fees will be nice too, although I won't be doing that for the first time until June. Automatic interest-free financing on larger Amazon.ca purchases is also a great feature.

My main complaints with it involve the website. Paperless billing is not available, which is odd in this day and age of being green. Automatic payment of the balance from my chequing account is also not an option so I have to pay it manually. Usually that is not an issue but it was once in the past with another card when I was hospitalized for a month. I would also like to be notified when my payment is posted to the account, but that is not an available alert.

I also think the card itself is visually unappealing, like a second-rate gas card, but that is a very minor issue.

Overall I think it is a good card and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Visa card.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service, April 10 2013
Jeremy Janzen "Jeremy" (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)

Bad: The phone and security services are atrocious. I called twice in one month and both times when I navigated the voice-prompts to talk to a real person, the system hung up on me. Before it hung up, a message played saying "If you feel you were hung up on in error, we are sorry!". Ok, well that is not helpful at all! The only way I could talk to someone was to choose the option for a credit increase. Completely unacceptable.

Security service is another mess. I've had countless payments declined on this card. I make a payment via Paypal to the UK once per month. Every single time, this payment is declined. Calling security doesn't make a difference - they can put the payment through but it will still be blocked next time. A total nightmare. Last month a pre-authorized US payment for $9.95 bounced! Literally for no reason I can determine (they can't either).

Honestly I've saved some money on exchange rate using this card but its also been a major headache.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card for USA bound Canadians, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
This is a great card for Canadians who shop in the USA as you won't pay the additional fees for charging purchases in US currency.

Likes:

No Fee - My number one deciding factor on a credit card. Unless the rewards are highly lucrative, why pay annual fees when there are a number of rewards cards that have no fee. It is easy to find a credit card that has no fee and returns 1%

Rewards - My second most important factor. This works out to 1% return on most purchases and 2% return on Amazon.ca. Pay attention though, this 2% return is on the Amazon.ca purchases. They have *conveniently* not stated that you get the same on Amazon.com so expect it would only be 1%. As you know, there are many more items on the .COM site.

Dislikes:

-High interest rate. However, I highly recommend to always pay your credit cards off monthly. Get a line of credit if you need a loan.

-I was interested and clicked on the link immediately. However, I do not like that they do not tell us if you get the 2% return on the amazon.COM.

-The colour. Green? Ok pretty weak dislike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca VISA card, April 11 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Got this card for the great exchange rate on the US dollar as I'm a snowbird. But I find Chase, the company behind this card, is a little behind the times. No electronic billing, only by snail mail, and no automatic payments. Each month you must manually pay the bill. This is rather annoying when you're travelling months at a time. All my other cards, Mastercard, Amex, etc. send out statements via email and automatically withdraw the payment from my bank. I don't have to get involved. Chase should get with the times and do the same thing. Then I would use their card year round, not just when I'm down in the States.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chase Canada Cards (all of them, not just Amazon), May 14 2014
Horrific Customer Service.

On many occasions, with a $10,000 limit and a zero balance, I have been declined for a small purchase (I.e. $50). I go online and everything looks fine. I call, and find my $10,000 limit has been 'temporarily' reduced to $10 "by the system" - because of abnormal purchasing patterns on another credit card, from a different bank, no way related to Chase. The other cards are all up to date, but using a card from another bank, for a major purchases (always paid in full, to take benefit of rewards) makes their computer nervous. Chase Canada constantly monitors the credit bureaus of its cardholders, and their scores. Credit Scores change daily. Chase gives you a "limit" however it's re-evaluated almost on a daily basis. I cancelled my Chase cards because when I need my card, I don't like thinking I'm rolling craps at the casino to see if my purchase will be approved. Ignore the credit 'limit' attached to your card as it doesn't exist, they approve purchases on an American Express like, no limit basis, but actually treat you like you have NO limit available.

I have a 780+ rating.

I have to admit, when I read some comments (before applying for a Chase card) my immediate reaction is that those who complain about the service, being declined, fraud checks, and frozen limits, are those who habitually make excuses for themselves. Boy did I learn a lesson not to judge. I've had a Visa, MC, and AmEx since 1979, never ever had any payment issues, lates, or even declined purchases, before a Chase Canada credit card. The service from Chase (and it's blame all "system") is absolutely diabolical.

Colleagues, friends and relatives in the states claim this is normal for Chase, and most loathe them.

I'll stick with the tried and true Big Canadian five for any credit needs. I'd rather pay a 2.5% exchange fee on foreign transactions for the security of knowing my card will work when I need it most!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad company (JPMorgan Chase), April 12 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
What I hate about this card is that Chase has decided a number of times my normal (non-amazon) purchases as fraud and locked my account. This makes me nervous and I could never tell if my next purchase will go through or not, not to mention the hassle of calling them waiting on the answering machine to get the card unlocked.

1.0 out of 5 stars slow, Dec 2 2013
Truth is not a Fiction (The Canadian Wasteland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Chase takes a long time to process payments to your account which can lead to problems with online businesses such as Amazon. I will be canceling it. Where does my money go when it leaves my chequing account and before it is applied to my card balance? It's a rip off.