5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is
This credit card fills two very specific niches very well: Foreign purchases (i.e.: non-$CDN), and purchases on Amazon.ca.

The lack of foreign exchange fees is like getting 2.5% cash back instantly, when compared to using most other credit cards. The 2% reward at Amazon is pretty good for a no-fee card.

This card does not strike me as though it...
Published 22 months ago by B. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca VISA card
Published on April 11 2013 by BCtraveler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, for what it is, July 29 2013
B. Jones (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)

This card does not strike me as though it would be a terribly good everyday card. You can get higher limits, better service, more rewards and more flexibility with other no-fee rewards cards in Canada.

This card does very well at the niches it tries to fill, but is otherwise probably not your best choice.

TIP: When purchasing online or at "machines" in the USA, e.g.: pay at the pump gas pumps, if asked for your zip code try entering the 3 digits of your postal code, followed by '00' (that's zero zero). E.g.: C3P 5B7 could be entered as 35700.

5.0 out of 5 stars My travelling abroad card, April 2 2013
rkim (mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I got this card specifically for the no foreign FX currency surcharges for a recent trip to Europe. You are charged the visa interbank rate for currency conversion and that's it. Other cards like Amex will tack on a 2.7% surcharge and CIBC visa 2.5% on top of the currency conversion. I used it as my primary card in Spain this past March. The currency conversion was around 1.33 for the Euro on my Amazon visa purchases which was excellent. Compare this to RBC who charged me 1.4 !! to convert Canadian to Euros prior to me leaving on my trip at my local bank branch.

No annual fees and automatic crediting of the 1% rebate what is not to like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best go-to card for all purchases outside of Canada with NO foreign currency transaction fee, Feb. 11 2015
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I now use this card exclusively for all out-of-Canada purchases. Unlike cards issued by the Big 5 banks, there is NO 2.5% foreign currency transaction fee. So no extra $2.50 paid to the banks for every $100 spent on the card. Using the card is better than buying USD or Euro or whatever foreign currency you will transact in. VISA can buy the foreign currency on the spot market for a far better rate than we can buy through consumer foreign currency exchange houses (whether FX companies in Canada or from the big banks in Canada). With no 2.5% foreign transaction fee, using the card would yield the lowest CAD prices for foreign purchases. I spend 4-5 months a year in the US and about 1 month overseas in other countries. I use the Amazon card for over 90% of purchases. Using the card is cheaper than me using cash because I can't buy foreign cash for as good a rate as VISA.

Customer service has been excellent. People I've dealt with are professional and helpful. I've never once had a problem in phoning the 1-800 call centre. Be sure to always phone them before you head outside of Canada to alert them to your travels. I've always done this. And not once did I ever have any issue using the card. There's never been a block on using the card.

And a small added value bonus of using the card is the 1% cashback feature. It's not significant but it does make a bit of a difference. For every $1000 spent on the card, you get $10 back. The threshold is $2000 in spending. Once $2000 is charged, $20 is refunded as a credit to the account.

So 1% cashback and no corrosive 2.5% foreign currency transaction fee with no annual fee = the best option I could find in a credit card to use outside of Canada.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around Visa card, April 11 2013
rj - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I have only had this card for 8 months and so far I am quite pleased with it. I often shop at Amazon.ca and the 2% cash back is great. I even have many of my bill payments charged automatically to the card to get the 1% cash back, and I pay it off each month so the interest rate is of no concern. To date I have earned $100 in cash back without paying any fees or interest. Being able to use it abroad without foreign currency fees will be nice too, although I won't be doing that for the first time until June. Automatic interest-free financing on larger Amazon.ca purchases is also a great feature.

My main complaints with it involve the website. Paperless billing is not available, which is odd in this day and age of being green. Automatic payment of the balance from my chequing account is also not an option so I have to pay it manually. Usually that is not an issue but it was once in the past with another card when I was hospitalized for a month. I would also like to be notified when my payment is posted to the account, but that is not an available alert.

I also think the card itself is visually unappealing, like a second-rate gas card, but that is a very minor issue.

Overall I think it is a good card and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Visa card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy payment, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
To those whose complaint is the hussle of paying manually I can say that I actually find it quite easy to pay my balance. I just have the card in the "Payee" list of my bank. I pay it just the same way I pay for Rogers, my hydro and other bills.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca VISA card, April 11 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Got this card for the great exchange rate on the US dollar as I'm a snowbird. But I find Chase, the company behind this card, is a little behind the times. No electronic billing, only by snail mail, and no automatic payments. Each month you must manually pay the bill. This is rather annoying when you're travelling months at a time. All my other cards, Mastercard, Amex, etc. send out statements via email and automatically withdraw the payment from my bank. I don't have to get involved. Chase should get with the times and do the same thing. Then I would use their card year round, not just when I'm down in the States.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good card - very poor service, April 10 2013
Jeremy Janzen "Jeremy" (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
Good: This card has a good exchange rate for those who buy products/services out of Canada.

Bad: The phone and security services are atrocious. I called twice in one month and both times when I navigated the voice-prompts to talk to a real person, the system hung up on me. Before it hung up, a message played saying "If you feel you were hung up on in error, we are sorry!". Ok, well that is not helpful at all! The only way I could talk to someone was to choose the option for a credit increase. Completely unacceptable.

Security service is another mess. I've had countless payments declined on this card. I make a payment via Paypal to the UK once per month. Every single time, this payment is declined. Calling security doesn't make a difference - they can put the payment through but it will still be blocked next time. A total nightmare. Last month a pre-authorized US payment for $9.95 bounced! Literally for no reason I can determine (they can't either).

Honestly I've saved some money on exchange rate using this card but its also been a major headache.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great card if you want your web account locked., Oct. 14 2013
Allan (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I've invested 60 minutes of time - calls for problems related to a Visa card that have nothing to do with me.
Some background - I have a near perfect credit score (>750). I never had fraudulent charges on my account.

I have had my account locked three times for "fraudulent transactions detected at random." This was for purchasing software with my credit card - legal, non-pirated, software (GOG dot com). I had my account locked twice in nine days - no access to my web account until I call Chase/Amazon. This lockout was for the same "fraudulent charge." Next time my account was locked. For Pitney Bowes charges for an Ebay transaction. Chase/Amazon has made using this card a stressful event. I never know when my account will be locked out resulting in a talk with Sophie, or Gladys or whichever super chipper "fraud division expert" to which Chase will connect me.

I thought the zero extra charge on US dollar transactions was a worthwhile feature in a credit card. It is a worthwhile feature had I not wasted so much time making calls to verify legal transactions. I wouldn't be dissatisfied had any of these charges (totalling $30 CDN) actually been fraudulent.

I will transition all my payments and usage away from this card and company - there is nothing good about a card that comes with time wasting customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card for USA bound Canadians, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
This is a great card for Canadians who shop in the USA as you won't pay the additional fees for charging purchases in US currency.

Likes:

No Fee - My number one deciding factor on a credit card. Unless the rewards are highly lucrative, why pay annual fees when there are a number of rewards cards that have no fee. It is easy to find a credit card that has no fee and returns 1%

Rewards - My second most important factor. This works out to 1% return on most purchases and 2% return on Amazon.ca. Pay attention though, this 2% return is on the Amazon.ca purchases. They have *conveniently* not stated that you get the same on Amazon.com so expect it would only be 1%. As you know, there are many more items on the .COM site.

Dislikes:

-High interest rate. However, I highly recommend to always pay your credit cards off monthly. Get a line of credit if you need a loan.

-I was interested and clicked on the link immediately. However, I do not like that they do not tell us if you get the 2% return on the amazon.COM.

-The colour. Green? Ok pretty weak dislike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for outside of Canada, bad if you've been on the internet in your lifetime, July 7 2014
This review is from: Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase (Financial Product)
I agree with most of the reviews on here. The card is great for buying goods outside of Canada as there is not foreign transaction fee. I recently returned from the US and used it exclusively.
However the online portal through Chase is horrendous. Every other major bank has a better interface for their cards. The lack of a paperless option is inconvenient as well. Guess I'll be keeping my receipts to add up spending like it's 1995.