Auto Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle boutiques-francophones Music Deals Store SGG Tools

TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 29, 2013
This credit card fills two very specific niches very well: Foreign purchases (i.e.: non-$CDN), and purchases on

The lack of foreign exchange fees is like getting 2.5% cash back instantly, when compared to using most other credit cards. The 2% reward at Amazon is pretty good for a no-fee card.

This card does not strike me as though it would be a terribly good everyday card. You can get higher limits, better service, more rewards and more flexibility with other no-fee rewards cards in Canada.

This card does very well at the niches it tries to fill, but is otherwise probably not your best choice.

TIP: When purchasing online or at "machines" in the USA, e.g.: pay at the pump gas pumps, if asked for your zip code try entering the 3 digits of your postal code, followed by '00' (that's zero zero). E.g.: C3P 5B7 could be entered as 35700.
on February 11, 2015
I now use this card exclusively for all out-of-Canada purchases. Unlike cards issued by the Big 5 banks, there is NO 2.5% foreign currency transaction fee. So no extra $2.50 paid to the banks for every $100 spent on the card. Using the card is better than buying USD or Euro or whatever foreign currency you will transact in. VISA can buy the foreign currency on the spot market for a far better rate than we can buy through consumer foreign currency exchange houses (whether FX companies in Canada or from the big banks in Canada). With no 2.5% foreign transaction fee, using the card would yield the lowest CAD prices for foreign purchases. I spend 4-5 months a year in the US and about 1 month overseas in other countries. I use the Amazon card for over 90% of purchases. Using the card is cheaper than me using cash because I can't buy foreign cash for as good a rate as VISA.

Customer service has been excellent. People I've dealt with are professional and helpful. I've never once had a problem in phoning the 1-800 call centre. Be sure to always phone them before you head outside of Canada to alert them to your travels. I've always done this. And not once did I ever have any issue using the card. There's never been a block on using the card.

And a small added value bonus of using the card is the 1% cashback feature. It's not significant but it does make a bit of a difference. For every $1000 spent on the card, you get $10 back. The threshold is $2000 in spending. Once $2000 is charged, $20 is refunded as a credit to the account.

So 1% cashback and no corrosive 2.5% foreign currency transaction fee with no annual fee = the best option I could find in a credit card to use outside of Canada.
on April 2, 2013
I got this card specifically for the no foreign FX currency surcharges for a recent trip to Europe. You are charged the visa interbank rate for currency conversion and that's it. Other cards like Amex will tack on a 2.7% surcharge and CIBC visa 2.5% on top of the currency conversion. I used it as my primary card in Spain this past March. The currency conversion was around 1.33 for the Euro on my Amazon visa purchases which was excellent. Compare this to RBC who charged me 1.4 !! to convert Canadian to Euros prior to me leaving on my trip at my local bank branch.

No annual fees and automatic crediting of the 1% rebate what is not to like.
on July 16, 2014
This card finally solves the ridiculous 2.5% foreign conversion levy that is applied by every other card I've had, and also by Paypal. If you use this card to pay through paypal, you have to make sure you change the conversion option for the card to pay in the foreign currency and not let Paypal covert for you. It's hard to find this setting, just Google it for instructions.
on February 25, 2014
To those whose complaint is the hussle of paying manually I can say that I actually find it quite easy to pay my balance. I just have the card in the "Payee" list of my bank. I pay it just the same way I pay for Rogers, my hydro and other bills.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 11, 2013
I have only had this card for 8 months and so far I am quite pleased with it. I often shop at and the 2% cash back is great. I even have many of my bill payments charged automatically to the card to get the 1% cash back, and I pay it off each month so the interest rate is of no concern. To date I have earned $100 in cash back without paying any fees or interest. Being able to use it abroad without foreign currency fees will be nice too, although I won't be doing that for the first time until June. Automatic interest-free financing on larger purchases is also a great feature.

My main complaints with it involve the website. Paperless billing is not available, which is odd in this day and age of being green. Automatic payment of the balance from my chequing account is also not an option so I have to pay it manually. Usually that is not an issue but it was once in the past with another card when I was hospitalized for a month. I would also like to be notified when my payment is posted to the account, but that is not an available alert.

I also think the card itself is visually unappealing, like a second-rate gas card, but that is a very minor issue.

Overall I think it is a good card and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Visa card.
on July 23, 2015
It is the best card for what it is designed for - saving on foreign exchange fees which is at least 2.5%. That is an instant 2.5% cash back. A lot of people here bash it expecting it to give them perks it doesn't offer. I used it today and saved $50. Customer service is pretty good too - I am not sure what people with 1-star rating are talking about. It is probably even better than the #1 rated credit card in Canada - Capital One Aspire World. I definitely recommend getting this card if you shop online in non-CAD or travel outside of Canada even once a year.
on April 11, 2013
Got this card for the great exchange rate on the US dollar as I'm a snowbird. But I find Chase, the company behind this card, is a little behind the times. No electronic billing, only by snail mail, and no automatic payments. Each month you must manually pay the bill. This is rather annoying when you're travelling months at a time. All my other cards, Mastercard, Amex, etc. send out statements via email and automatically withdraw the payment from my bank. I don't have to get involved. Chase should get with the times and do the same thing. Then I would use their card year round, not just when I'm down in the States.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2013
Good: This card has a good exchange rate for those who buy products/services out of Canada.

Bad: The phone and security services are atrocious. I called twice in one month and both times when I navigated the voice-prompts to talk to a real person, the system hung up on me. Before it hung up, a message played saying "If you feel you were hung up on in error, we are sorry!". Ok, well that is not helpful at all! The only way I could talk to someone was to choose the option for a credit increase. Completely unacceptable.

Security service is another mess. I've had countless payments declined on this card. I make a payment via Paypal to the UK once per month. Every single time, this payment is declined. Calling security doesn't make a difference - they can put the payment through but it will still be blocked next time. A total nightmare. Last month a pre-authorized US payment for $9.95 bounced! Literally for no reason I can determine (they can't either).

Honestly I've saved some money on exchange rate using this card but its also been a major headache.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2014
My problem isn't with Amazon per sec but your credit provider, Chase.

Chase manages my Amazon Visa card and another retailer I have an account with under the Chase Sears MasterCard label.

Chase perpetually confuses the two although they have different account login identities.

The result is that when I get reminders a payment is due to Amazon Visa and use the link provided in the Chase email reminder to open your statement, the Sears account opens and vice versa when I receive a reminder that a payment is due on my Sears account.

Will you please do what you can to resolve this confusion. At some point I fear I shall make payment to the wrong party and miss a payment to the other.