5.0 out of 5 stars the beauty is in the sound
In a way, the remastering seems like a marketing ploy to make more money, to promote the second leg of their national tour (it amazes me that they could still be touring- it's like trying to imagine my parents running around the country from city to city playing rock music every night. I can't.).
Yet, I think it's also an effort to present the music to their fans...
Published on June 1 2004 by Ishtar

3.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly Substandard Remastering
Published on July 10 2004 by Lee J. McLean

5.0 out of 5 stars the beauty is in the sound, June 1 2004
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
Yet, I think it's also an effort to present the music to their fans on CD as it was originally recorded. The pre-existing CD versions are definitely sub-optimal- the transfer from the analog recording is flat and smoothed over. When I heard Rumours remastered, I almost started crying- in fact, I might have. It was clear and vibrant, the vocals had so much more depth, and the instruments stand out from one other- and the singing rises from the music rather than being plastered to it. This is the way it was meant to be listened to. This is the reason Fleetwood Mac is a blues/folk/*rock*- and not pop- band. I can hear vocals and sounds that I never ever heard before- it's just so intense. Definitely worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album With Superior Sound Quality, March 19 2008
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
I have owned Rumours before, both in the LP format and the original CD format. Obviously this album has been a favourite of mine for a long time, with a slight more understanding of the tension involved in making it as the years have passed by.
What struck me, however, by hearing this new re-mastered version was the immense sound quality. Listening to Dreams the bass becomes so vibrant and alive with Stevie Nick's voice backed up with incredible harmonies with the addition of crisp guitar sounds and thumping drumming. On the next track, Never Going Back Again the guitar is spread in the mix giving the listener a feeling of actually being involved with the playing. Much of the same can be described by most of the other songs on the album, making me for my part re-discovering it again. Never before had I noticed how great the production was, not only in regards of the sound quality but also how it was mixed, both simple but yet innovative.

I took my old CD to compare the two versions, the hypothesis being that maybe this great sound had simply eluded me some years ago. The difference was, however, similar to hearing a worn cassette tape and a regular CD. The separation of instruments was not to be heard, a lack of depth was evident and the mix was muffled as if one were listening to a worn LP.

There is also added material. Silver Springs, a single not included on the original version, has been tacked between what before was side A and B. A fine song and its odd inclusion actually does keep the flow of the album intact (I believe having it at the end would spoil the fine ending of the original). There is also a bonus disk consisting of demos of the songs. It is interesting hearing these demos, one can hear how good the simple versions are but yet how delicately Fleetwood Mac improved them in the studio. Of particular note is Brushes which is only the guitar playing of what became Never Going Back Again. One must, however, make sure to press the stop button before some jam session at the end of the disc begin, those are only for the most devoted.

Thus from the standpoint of sound quality, this re-mastered version of Rumours is in my view a great buy. The bonus CD is a welcome addition and the artwork accompanying this version does this great album justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars dynamite, lovin music from the 70's!, May 14 1998
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
Every American kid of the 70's needs to have this album, just for the pure pleasure of hearing Stevie Nicks singing "Dreams", a clear-eyed, sexy little song that is probably the best of 70's pop. The next song, however, is delightfully smart and gratifying and worth the price of the whole cd. It is Lindsey Buckingham's "Never Going Back Again". Sprightly acoustic guitar and Lindsey's moaning will make you melt.

5.0 out of 5 stars lacking diversity?, Nov. 5 2005
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
"rumours" has to be one of the best albums ever.
i never previously managed to own a copy on cd, so when this extended version was released, i thought, what the hell!
i am glad i purchased it, i've always loved the song "silver spring" also my favourite "gold dust woman" here in 3 versions, as is "dreams, though i must say, it would have been nice to have a bit more diversity between the versions, as i found i was listening & waiting for that twist, but did not happen.
also, "planets of the universe" i love this version, it is very moving & folky, as compared to the rock version on "shangri-la"
"butter cookie" i also love the classic blues sound.
"screecher's blues" i can't quite make out, but the guitars sound good, so i guess that's what it's all about.
"think about it" i'm not a big fan of this song, either this version or on "belladonna",
i think it would have been nice to see a bit more diversity on this album as i'm sure 'mac have scope for this in the archives,
but i guess their saving it for some time in the future & we're all eagerly anticipating this!?

3.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly Substandard Remastering, July 10 2004
Lee J. McLean (Forestdale, QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
As a huge Mac fan, I purchased the three remastered Mac albums with great excitement. However, my excitement soon turned to grave disappointment when I listened to them. I should point out that there were two earlier pressings of this CD; the first was dreadful, and this version is clearly better than that one. However, the second version (done as a result of customer complaints about the first, I believe) was vastly superior, both to the first pressing and (to a lesser extent) this remaster.
"Second Hand News" sounds much better on the remaster, but it's all downhill from there. "Dreams" is lineball, but from then on it's clear that the second pressing was considerably cleaner and clearer than this remaster (although the remaster has fuller bass). Also, "Silver Springs" sounds infinitely better on "The Chain" box set. I am frankly astonished that anyone involved could have let such a substandard remaster of such a well-known album be released. Perhaps the Australian version is inferior to the US, but I doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Rumours DVD-A" heard on a DVD-A player is OUTSTANDING!!!, June 17 2004
This review is from: Rumours (DVD Audio) (DVD Audio)
For Stevie Nicks fans, this Rumours DVD-Audio disc is mandatory!!
I recently purchased a Toshiba DVD-A player, a JVC Receiver designed for DVD-A, Monster audio cables designed for SACD/DVD-Audio, and I added one Infinity Beta Center speaker (designed for SACD/DVD-A) to my old stereo speakers. (I still need Beta Surround speakers).
A set-up similar to that results in the best reproduction of the the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours DVD-A" & others such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer's DVD-A.
The Rumours DVD-A sounds much better than the Rumours CD...
I played them both and obvserved that the sound is clearer, has better tones, and is much more impressive, (and worth the DVD-A electonic equipment costs). On the song - The Chain - McVie's solo bass notes have outstanding tone on the DVD-A as compared to the CD!!! Just like he is in my living room. Overall, the sound on the DVD-A is outstanding. Good work Fleetwood Mac & Warner Brothers!!!
When playing the DVD-A in Pro Logic, Enhanced Stereo, or in PCM, it also sounds very good. I haven't tried DTS yet.
Stevie's "Gold Dust Woman" is the best I have ever heard. And, Stevie's delicate voice comes through brilliantly on her famous "Silver Springs" as well as on the "Gold Dust Woman" along with the powerful band music in the background.
You also get many pictures with each song you can click on. You can play another section where there is no singing - only the instrumentals with Stevie, Lindsey, Mick & John explaining how they wrote or recorded each song.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of, May 14 2004
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
After their breakthrough success with their self-titled album, Fleetwood Mac should have been on top of the world. Instead, success led to tensions in the band that would result in the two couples, Buckingham-Nicks & the McVie's, dissolving their relationships. There was tremendous friction when the band entered the studio to record the follow up album. It was those frictions and breakups that fueled the album and turned it into one of the classic albums of the 70's and in rock history. Rumours contains 11 songs in which many deal with the breakups. To hear Lindsay Buckingham & Stevie Nicks sing the searing "Go Your Own Way" together when you know that the song was written about their situation adds an extra edge to the song that can't be created if the song was about someone else. "The Chain" has a dark and ironic urgency to it and the bouncy beats of "Second Hand News" mask angry and bitter lyrics. "Dreams" is a bittersweet song that captures the essence of Stevie Nicks. It has a mystical, ethereal sound with deep lyrics and it has the witchy feel that made Ms. Nicks the high priestess of rock. The song became the album's and the band's only number one single. Ms. Nicks also shines on the eerie "Gold Dust Woman" that is a thinly veiled song about her cocaine abuse. The song dips and dives with stinging guitars and dirge like Hammond organ. Not every song is downcast; "Don't Stop" is a classic anthem of optimism and hope in which Christine McVie & Mr. Buckingham's vocals intertwine perfectly to capture the feeling that tomorrow will soon be here. "You Make Loving Fun" is a bouncy song that must have burned John McVie as Christine McVie wrote it about her new lover. "Songbird" is an elegantly beautiful song that is just Ms. McVie on vocals and piano and its position right in the middle of the album provides a respite from the album's high tensions. Rumours not only capitalized on the success of their prior album, but it was so big that it became a cultural touchstone. The album spent a staggering 31 weeks at number one in 1977, became the first album to spawn four top ten hits and ranks as one of the five biggest selling albums in history with over 20 million in sales and won the 1977 Grammy for Album of the Year. The original album is altered to include "Silver Springs" which was originally a b-side to "Go Your Own Way", but was revived in popularity with its inclusion on their comeback album, "The Dance". It is placed between "Songbird" and "The Chain" the songs that end side one and start side two respectively on the original album. Disk two is full of demo takes of the album's songs as well as jam sessions and other miscellaneous tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic just got even better!, May 5 2004
Seeg (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
First "Rumours" was re-mastered for cd...then came the 5.1 DVD audio version, which was simply amazing, not to mention the cool audio commentary option of the band members. Now, 2004, comes the special cd edition of "Rumours", the landmark 1977 that spent 31 weeks at #1 on Billboard and has sold in excess of 30 million copies. It defined an era. So is it possible this new "special edition" makes it even better?? You bet! The disc is packaged in a neat little insert, with the jewel box inside. Inside the jewel box contains a cool booklet with nice pictures, a little bio of the group, and the lyrics. I laughed as the bio explained this album caused a generation of kids to think the word "Rumors" was spelled as "Rumours." I am 37, and remember I used to think that as well! I often STILL mis-spell the word that way!(sometimes unintentionally) SO, yes, this band as always had an impact on my life,carrying it(or twirling it..he he he) on into Stevie Nicks' very prolific and excellent solo career. The package contains two discs. Disc one is the re-mastered version of "Rumours" which sounds killer! This music is always going to be timeless, but the new mastering is spectacular! Disc two contains out-take versions of some of the "Rumours" cuts, some instrumental versions, and some demos of "Never going back again," "Planets of the universe"(which wold be recorded over 25 years later for Nicks' top five selling 2001 solo album, "Trouble in Shangri La", for which she recieved a Grammy nomination), a neat early demo of nicks and Buckingham doing harmony on "Think about it"(later recorded sans Buckingham on Nicks' debut #1 solo album "Bella Donna") "Butter cookie"(an un-used Mcvie tune), two versions of "Gold dust woman(one alternate version, one demo),"Doesn't anything last"(unused Buckingham tune), and a couple tracks listed as "jam sessions".This collection doesn't alter any of the original recordings, only brings more sound out of it we might not hear from the orignal untouched analog recordings. And the second disc of extra goodies is enough to make any fan drool!....SO, yeah, this collection ROCKS! It is truly amazing and I will for sure next be buying the other two new "Collector editions" of Mac's "Tusk" album and the self titled 1975 album us "Mac heads" tend to refer to as the Mac's "White album"...There will NEVER be another band like Fleetwood Mac! And, also being a HUGE Stevie Nicks fan, I have to say, there will never be another Stevie Nicks! My Queen of rock!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure With Minor Debris, April 10 2004
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
I now have about a dozen different versions of the Rumours album on CD. This set is great. The second disc is even more enjoyable for me than the released versions (I guess I'm just weird). There are two things that really disappoint me about this set though.
1. The REAL original version of "Silver Springs" yet again did NOT get released. The closest it has come is "The Chain" Box Set. I like Stevie's main vocals, but I don't think they sound as good as the backup vocals. I also agree with other viewers that it should have been the last track on the disc, and not thrown in the middle. Stevie deserves more respect than that. People should know that it was intentionally left off the album when it first came out.
2. The other thing that really disappoints me is the exclusion of the instrumental demo of "The Chain" from disc two. Where is it? That is an awesome piece of music. I guess I'll have to continue listening to the tinny, poor quality copy I have. (boo-hoo)
Overall, this is an amazing set. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars An improvement, April 10 2004
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
As a longtime Rumours fanatic, I had been patiently awaiting a remaster. The wait was worth it. Along with obvious sonic improvements, the tweaks to the original album work well for me. As has been mentioned repeatedly, the two major changes were the inclusion of "Silver Springs" and a revised version of "Gold Dust Woman". The new version of "Silver Springs" works better for me. Bringing Stevie's vocal forward towards the end of the record further highlights the intense emotion of that portion of the song. I do not feel that "Silver Springs" is meant to be overly tender and romantic for four minutes. The remixed version of "Gold Dust Woman" is a great improvement over the original. Eliminating the edges at the beginning and end with fading makes the record more effective. There is also significant improvement with regard to the many haunting background sounds on the record. I am intrigued by the removal of the broken glass sound that many of us know so well. I don't quite understand that move.
As far as the bonus disk is concerned, I did not find it very interesting except for the rough version of "You Make Loving Fun". I really like the longer intro and general funkier nature of it. However, the generally corny background vocals performed by Stevie on the rough cut were rightfully removed for the final version of the album.

Rumours (Deluxe 3 CD)
Rumours (Deluxe 3 CD) by Fleetwood Mac (Audio CD - 2013)