countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on April 16, 2014
This printer was easy to set up on our home network, and it works just fine.

It is slow, but for domestic use this does not matter. Most importantly, all the functions work well and everyone in the household can use it without any difficulty.
on February 25, 2014
For the price I paid (86$ w/shipping) you probably can't get any better than this.
All your needs located in one compact box, and it works great. The wireless was really easy to use: you choose your wifi access point on the screen and input your wifi password, that is all. It also come with at least 35$ worth of ink (color +black) so another bonus point here.
The scanner works perfectly and is fast. I didn't use the fax because I don't need it but it's a cool ad-on.
The only bad thing I could find was the amount of vibration it makes when printing or cleaning itself, otherwise it's really worth the price tag at the moment.
on October 20, 2014
The MFCJ870DW is an excellent printer with good quality across the board. Colour photos are printed to a good degree of clarity and black&white printing is quick, sharp, and accurate. Compatibility with 3rd party ink is a great plus, and to be expected from Brother brand printers.

While printing can be a bit slow on colour settings, this is no problem if this is for home or school use; B&W prints at a speed anyone can appreciate.

Overall, for the price, this printer is well worth 5 stars - other, more expensive printers simply cannot hold a candle to the cost effective nature of the J870.
on August 2, 2014
Have had similar Brother models before and this one exceeds my expectations. Needed AirPrint so the only reason I replaced my previous model was because of this new option. The old one is still doing duty at a friend's house.
Easy to set up. Works exactly as promised.
on January 11, 2015
This is a really good printer for the price. It does everything I need and more. The features that I use the most are:
- WiFi printing (AirPrint)
- WiFi scanning (AirScan)
- Two-sided printing
- draft quality prints (to save on ink)

The scanner scans at a really good quality, I have taken the spines off of many textbooks and scanned them in using this printer and then OCR the scans using a software from the Apple App store (for OS X). Then the books are ready for my iPad.

The scanner and printer are pretty fast and don't make too much noise.
on September 20, 2014
I like 3 separate colour inks, instead of tri-packs and the cartridges are cheaper and last longer than my HP printer. Prints beautifully on photo paper, kinda blah on regular paper. Noisy, but that doesn't bother me. Copy is handy and the onscreen menu is good (simple). The wifi is great. I like scanning to a usb stick. Kinda flimsy and I worry every time I pull out the paper cartridge, but no problems.
on October 17, 2015
Definitely a good purchase for a university student. It is loaded with features: Wifi, NFC, Various cloud services. It is very compact and is aesthetically pleasing also.
Print quality is pretty much what is expected of inkjet printers, I'm no expert on the subject but it isn't significantly above or below average comparable printers. Similarly the speed is just what is expected, can't match laser printers (For obvious reasons) but isn't slow either.
Some other features include disk (DVD/CD) and photo printing, but I haven't used either.

A slight disadvantage would be the low capacity paper tray. It holds about 1.5 cm (Maybe closer to an inch) of paper, this is like 1/5 of a typical stack of print paper. This is a problem if you plan on putting this in an office, but for home use, the tray should be sufficient. It should be mentioned that the tray can still take most paper sizes including legal.

The NFC feature is just alright, it can get the job done just slowly. The issue with the NFC is the implementation. The iPrint and Scan app from Brother needs to be downloaded on the device first then NFC can be used. But the issue with that is then the NFC becomes redundant since Wifi can just be used instead. If the NFC supported direct file transfers from the device, it might be worth using.

Cloud features include Google Cloud Print and AirPrint. I don't have any apple devices, but Google Cloud print is very useful. It works well for printing from mobile devices (Android) without installing additional software.

Ink for the printer is pretty expensive. Non-OEM inks are fairly common, and cheap, but its up to the user to find the proper quality and type inks. Also for CISS cartridges, don't buy the long ones with the piping, just buy a same size cartridge as the starters. If the ink cover doesn't close, the printer will complain.

Software support for Brother is very impressive also, documentation and drivers are all easily found online and work well.

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase, definitely deserves the 5/5
on February 18, 2014
Installation was very easy and Wi-Fi network setup was a breeze using the onscreen instructions. Within 15 minutes, I was already printing using the Brother Print & Scan application for iOS. I'm quite pleased with the output quality, especially for photos. Overall, a pretty good deal.
on November 24, 2014
Très bon rapport qualité / prix. pas forcément la plus rapide que j'ai eu l'occasion de testé mais les performances sont là, la qualité d"impression est top, les cartouches ne sont pas trop excessives en terme de prix,... Un bon achat.
on January 27, 2016
Scared the crap out of me when it started to do a cleaning cycle by itself. Product arrived fast and was intact. Installation took a few minutes, very easy to setup and connect all your computers. Printing quality is good and it prints fairly fast. I love the touchscreen and the wireless feature. I suspect the software is a little unstable on windows 10 as it crashed my windows on one of my laptops. I'm not a professional but windows 10 got some files corrupted while installing the printer software. Funny enough this happened only on one of the 2 computers I run windows 10 on. So overall I'm pleased with this printer