1,191 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for myself!
I ended up buying 2 of these gift cards for myself, because I was trying to place an order that I wanted to split across 3 credit cards (2 Visa gift cards and my personal card). I get a lot of Visa gift cards as presents and every time I've tried to split a purchase across multiple cards at any 'bricks & mortar' store, I haven't had an issue.

When I contacted...
Published 19 months ago by Rav

2.0 out of 5 stars International gift card buyers beware!
Published 1 month ago by B. Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars International gift card buyers beware!, Nov. 10 2014
B. Campbell (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
International buyers beware! A thoughtful and generous family member in Canada was unable to purchase a gift card on Amazon.com for my wife and me in the United States. Reluctantly, he sent us an Amazon.ca gift card thinking that we would still be able to make use of it. The truth is that even though it appears on the outside that Amazon.com and Amazon.ca are the same company; and inexplicably you can log in to either website using the same login/password (I never set up an identical Amazon.ca account); and even though everything else looks the same; and ostensibly this in many ways *is* the same company (they have all my credit card info on Amazon.ca already, all my addresses, etc); you CANNOT transfer the gift card from one country to another even if you are willing to take a hit on monetary conversion from CDN dollar to US dollar. I can send it to someone else but it has to stay in Canadian currency. The Prime service I have paid for on my Amazon.com account (for many years now) does not apply to Amazon.ca.

Hoping to make the best of this, my wife and I looked into what we could purchase and have delivered. A small reading light will cost more to ship than the actual cost of the light itself and will have to be delivered at the lowest rate (I could receive it within a couple days here). I'm guessing it will have to do some major traveling (as it likely already has) to get here. Perhaps even more frustrating is that many of the items we have tried to add to our shopping cart cannot be delivered to the US due to regional shipping prohibitions. Yes, I understand certain electronics but a picture frame?

I dug a little deeper to see what I could get as far as books (because that's Amazon's bread and butter, right)? A book by a small publisher that I could receive TOMORROW in the US will ship "within one to three months" according to Amazon.ca. I then checked Harry Potter series -- very readily available, but for the CDN$ 52.74 cost of the book collection, the international shipping & handling at the slowest/lowest rate is CDN$ 17.35. Yowza!

Chat and e-mail with Amazon.com and Amazon.ca were given prompt response but with canned responses or confusing English that was so difficult to comprehend that it took several reads to really understand what was trying to be conveyed. ("Unfortunately there is no such things or else I would love to help you with it. I'd request you to contact your relative who have provided you with this gift card and I'm sure that they will be able to provide you with the details of it or provide you with another card so that you can use it on Amazon.com." = not true since the relative already tried to do this FIRST).

We are now stuck with a relatively large gift card that we'll likely just have to use to send gifts to other Canadian family. Although we are generally very pleased with our Amazon.COM purchases, this first interaction with Amazon.ca is less than desired. We will continue to treat Amazon.ca as a separate, independently operating company if they wish, but they have immediately left a bad taste in our mouth and we will certainly warn our family in the north to avoid cross-nation transactions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way Too Many Restrictions, April 8 2012
Diane L. Scott (Alberta) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I live in Canada while my family lives in the states. I purchased the gift card for my daughter in Kansas City, Missouri for a birthday gift. I had gone to the Amazon. com site but didn't realize that at some point it had reverted me to the .ca site. It wasn't until after my daughter received it and tried to redeem it that I received an email from her saying it was nonredeemable. She had sent a copy of the e-certificate and as I was reading through it I saw the address was the .ca site. So I emailed back and told her she would have to go to the .ca site to redeem it. Unfortunately, she can redeem on the .ca site but they won't ship to the US. What a bunch of crap this is!!! Amazon is Amazon, and it should make no difference where it is shipped to.

I am extremely disappointed with the process of this whole thing. From being reverted back to the .ca site unawares and then all the crap of my daughter trying to redeem the damn thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unsatisfied customer, May 17 2011
I purchased a Kindle for my wife on Amazon.com The product came and my wife loves it. I purchased a gift card on Amazon.com and it works like a charm. Now I live in Canada and I came across Amazon.ca. When it came time to purchase a new gift card, I purchased it on Amazon.ca. My wife registered it but could not get the purchases on her Kindle to recognize the new card. I was instructed that I would have to purchase the gift card on Amazon.com and I would be refunded the money from Amazon.ca. I purchased the card on Amazon.com and the activation worked like a charm.

However I still do not have a refund from Amazon.ca
It's very interesting that they can debit your card in seconds but it takes weeks to credit the same card.
How can that be.

A very dissatisfied customer.

3.0 out of 5 stars E-MAIL gift certificate, May 9 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Sent the certificate by e-mail but yet it took two weeks for the person to get it. What is the point of e-mail if you are slower than regular mail?

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for myself!, May 10 2013
Rav (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)

When I contacted Amazon to do the same (I knew it wasn't possible online), I was advised that their system could only recognize 1 credit card! (What a pain!) So, their suggestion was to order 2 amazon gift cards, then apply both of those to my purchase with my personal credit card.

At least this was some solution, but it was a bit of an annoyance. I ordered the gift cards online, to be delivered by email, and received the confirmations about 20 minutes later. Then I was able to apply both and finish my purchase.

My only caveat (and the reason for 4 stars - besides the inconvenience above) is for people who purchase from the US (.com) site as well as the Canadian (.ca) site - apparently these things are NOT interchangeable, so make sure you know where your purchases will be made!

1.0 out of 5 stars No Kindle Allowed, Aug. 23 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I bought this gift certificate with the intention of allowing it's reciever to purchase books on her Kindle but only found out after that by purchasing it on the .ca site does not allow Kindle books to be purchased. I think that this is ridiculous and the .ca and .com site should be interchangeable for Kindle purchases. If amazon is going to treat Canadian purchases differently on their .com site (and by differently i mean not allowing Kindle books to be shared in Canada) then why are we only allowed to purchase kindle books from the American site?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if you expect it to be a 'Surprise' on someone's special day, Sept. 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Very disappointed with ordering the Amazon Gift Certificate for my wife's birthday.
Didn't arrive by mid-morning of her birth date. Had to request re-send 3 times, even using an alternate e-mail address.
Contacted Amazon Support but they were pretty much useless in resolving.
My wife finally received, but the whole experience sure took the "surprise" out of it when I had to keep asking my wife, "Did you reieve an e-mail from Amazon?"

The same thing happened in reverse when she had bought me a Gift Certificate earlier in the year for a different occasion.

Considering how much I buy from both Amazon.ca and Amazon.com, I don't think I'll be too keen on trying the Gift Cert option any time soon.

p.s. the animated reggae birthday song didn't work at all for her either, even on her Kindle Fire (how ironic).

1.0 out of 5 stars bad idea, Oct. 3 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I bought a gift card for a relative, buying the email version, since i thought it would be the quickest and easiest way to send it to him. (he lives in a different province). But it was a COMPLETE hassle on both our ends to receive it. What shoul've been an automatic transaction, and received within a few minutes took about 4 days, before he was finally able to access it. Between not receiving the email, to the code not working out, to multiple other things...too long to get into. I will never buy an online email gift card again. Way too much headache for nothing. At least the customer service were VERY helpful. that made things a little better...but i still won't purchase another email gift card again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift Card review, Jan. 24 2011
I purchased a gift card for my husband. He has already used it. What he really liked about it is that when he had a balance after the first purchase he was informed of that balance prior to making a second purchase at a later date. He was very pleased that he was informed of this balance remaining, as the majority of the time sources wouldn't necessarily remind you that you still have balance remaining on your gift card, therefore, can forget you have a balance and then never use it. The source would keep the cash. Amazon, you are a very impressive and classy organization. Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars amazon e-gift certificates, Jan. 22 2011
It would be preferable if e-gift certificates were delivered to recipients actual email boxes rather than junk bins. Having to check with recipients when you haven't heard and having them reply, Nooooo, nothing received here, then having to do several searches just takes the glow off gift-giving. It may be the configuration of the recipients email to a certain extent, but my guess is that Amazon should be able, given all the information provided, to send an email that does not appear to be spam! Other companies are certainly able to.

Amazon.ca Gift Certificates - E-mail Delivery