march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

4.5 out of 5 stars1,683

on April 23, 2014
I ordered vouchers at amazon.ca, .de, .co.uk and .com

The vouchers I purchased are quite fine. However, what confused me a lot was the odd treatment of the confirmation emails. It was unclear when to expect what kind of confirmation email, they seemed rather random. Looking back, it seems they may have been related to the moment that the recipient of the voucher opened it. That was not clear from the emails at all.

Also, when I ordered the voucher at amazon.de I received a phone call from a German speaking lady from India (who didn't speak English?) even though my user settings are clearly English. It was odd that the .de vouchers were confirmed via phone, but the .co.uk ones were not.

Finally, the invoice system was different for the different websites - some did provide them, some only provided some kind of order statement. A bit more transparency on what to expect and why might be reasonable, especially for foreign purchasers.

PS: why are there no 'international' amazon vouchers?! It would be so much better if I could just buy them at .com and then use them at any amazon website!
on November 10, 2014
International buyers beware! A thoughtful and generous family member in Canada was unable to purchase a gift card on Amazon.com for my wife and me in the United States. Reluctantly, he sent us an Amazon.ca gift card thinking that we would still be able to make use of it. The truth is that even though it appears on the outside that Amazon.com and Amazon.ca are the same company; and inexplicably you can log in to either website using the same login/password (I never set up an identical Amazon.ca account); and even though everything else looks the same; and ostensibly this in many ways *is* the same company (they have all my credit card info on Amazon.ca already, all my addresses, etc); you CANNOT transfer the gift card from one country to another even if you are willing to take a hit on monetary conversion from CDN dollar to US dollar. I can send it to someone else but it has to stay in Canadian currency. The Prime service I have paid for on my Amazon.com account (for many years now) does not apply to Amazon.ca.

Hoping to make the best of this, my wife and I looked into what we could purchase and have delivered. A small reading light will cost more to ship than the actual cost of the light itself and will have to be delivered at the lowest rate (I could receive it within a couple days here). I'm guessing it will have to do some major traveling (as it likely already has) to get here. Perhaps even more frustrating is that many of the items we have tried to add to our shopping cart cannot be delivered to the US due to regional shipping prohibitions. Yes, I understand certain electronics but a picture frame?

I dug a little deeper to see what I could get as far as books (because that's Amazon's bread and butter, right)? A book by a small publisher that I could receive TOMORROW in the US will ship "within one to three months" according to Amazon.ca. I then checked Harry Potter series -- very readily available, but for the CDN$ 52.74 cost of the book collection, the international shipping & handling at the slowest/lowest rate is CDN$ 17.35. Yowza!

Chat and e-mail with Amazon.com and Amazon.ca were given prompt response but with canned responses or confusing English that was so difficult to comprehend that it took several reads to really understand what was trying to be conveyed. ("Unfortunately there is no such things or else I would love to help you with it. I'd request you to contact your relative who have provided you with this gift card and I'm sure that they will be able to provide you with the details of it or provide you with another card so that you can use it on Amazon.com." = not true since the relative already tried to do this FIRST).

We are now stuck with a relatively large gift card that we'll likely just have to use to send gifts to other Canadian family. Although we are generally very pleased with our Amazon.COM purchases, this first interaction with Amazon.ca is less than desired. We will continue to treat Amazon.ca as a separate, independently operating company if they wish, but they have immediately left a bad taste in our mouth and we will certainly warn our family in the north to avoid cross-nation transactions.
11 comment|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2013
These giftcertificates cannot be used on a kindle outside of Canada. It makes it difficult to send gift to family/friends outside of Canada.

This could be described more clearly when purchasing. Maybe even an option to purchase gift certificates at other amazon websites...
on February 15, 2014
So, I live in the US and wanted to give my niece in Canada an Amazon gift certificate to buy some kids books. I went to Amazon.com and easily bought one. Simple as pie.

Then we find out that she cannot transfer this to Amazon.ca and instead has to use it with Amazon.com (would be better named Amazon.US) and shipping from the US to Canada would eat up almost all the cash on the gift card.

So I tried to cancel the gift certificate but she has, of course, already "redeemed" it. I'm chatting with her while she's chatting with Amazon.com support. They tell her they can "try" to credit me but they can't be sure it will work. In the end, because she starts to sound like she's crying, the support person at Amazon.com agrees to waive shipping fees as long as she spends all $100 right now. So she does. At least the customer support people are able to make up for a poor corporate policy.

Luckily my other two gift cards to Canada are not yet redeemed so I can get a refund on them, sign up for an account on Amazon.ca, then rebuy the gift cards there.

Cripes Amazon.com! What a crock. Why can't you allow me to buy a gift certificate on Amazon.com and send it to anyone in the world? Maybe you warn them that they will be redeeming it into local currency at some rate. Heck, you can even cheat on the rate and make yourselves a few extra bucks.

I won't send Amazon gift certificates again.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2012
I live in Canada while my family lives in the states. I purchased the gift card for my daughter in Kansas City, Missouri for a birthday gift. I had gone to the Amazon. com site but didn't realize that at some point it had reverted me to the .ca site. It wasn't until after my daughter received it and tried to redeem it that I received an email from her saying it was nonredeemable. She had sent a copy of the e-certificate and as I was reading through it I saw the address was the .ca site. So I emailed back and told her she would have to go to the .ca site to redeem it. Unfortunately, she can redeem on the .ca site but they won't ship to the US. What a bunch of crap this is!!! Amazon is Amazon, and it should make no difference where it is shipped to.

I am extremely disappointed with the process of this whole thing. From being reverted back to the .ca site unawares and then all the crap of my daughter trying to redeem the damn thing.
0Comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2012
I bought this gift certificate with the intention of allowing it's reciever to purchase books on her Kindle but only found out after that by purchasing it on the .ca site does not allow Kindle books to be purchased. I think that this is ridiculous and the .ca and .com site should be interchangeable for Kindle purchases. If amazon is going to treat Canadian purchases differently on their .com site (and by differently i mean not allowing Kindle books to be shared in Canada) then why are we only allowed to purchase kindle books from the American site?
on May 9, 2012
Sent the certificate by e-mail but yet it took two weeks for the person to get it. What is the point of e-mail if you are slower than regular mail?
on May 17, 2011
I purchased a Kindle for my wife on Amazon.com The product came and my wife loves it. I purchased a gift card on Amazon.com and it works like a charm. Now I live in Canada and I came across Amazon.ca. When it came time to purchase a new gift card, I purchased it on Amazon.ca. My wife registered it but could not get the purchases on her Kindle to recognize the new card. I was instructed that I would have to purchase the gift card on Amazon.com and I would be refunded the money from Amazon.ca. I purchased the card on Amazon.com and the activation worked like a charm.

However I still do not have a refund from Amazon.ca
It's very interesting that they can debit your card in seconds but it takes weeks to credit the same card.
How can that be.

A very dissatisfied customer.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
When sending gift certificates via email, it would be informative to receive confirmation that the gift recipient actually received the gift certificate. i.e. when sending e-cards, one is usually provided with the option to be notified when the email is opened. You should include this function with your gift certificates. I still do not know if the person I sent one to actually received it, and without directly asking and making them feel bad/awkward for not letting me know/thanking me, I have no way of knowing if they actually got my gift.
on May 10, 2013
I ended up buying 2 of these gift cards for myself, because I was trying to place an order that I wanted to split across 3 credit cards (2 Visa gift cards and my personal card). I get a lot of Visa gift cards as presents and every time I've tried to split a purchase across multiple cards at any 'bricks & mortar' store, I haven't had an issue.

When I contacted Amazon to do the same (I knew it wasn't possible online), I was advised that their system could only recognize 1 credit card! (What a pain!) So, their suggestion was to order 2 amazon gift cards, then apply both of those to my purchase with my personal credit card.

At least this was some solution, but it was a bit of an annoyance. I ordered the gift cards online, to be delivered by email, and received the confirmations about 20 minutes later. Then I was able to apply both and finish my purchase.

My only caveat (and the reason for 4 stars - besides the inconvenience above) is for people who purchase from the US (.com) site as well as the Canadian (.ca) site - apparently these things are NOT interchangeable, so make sure you know where your purchases will be made!