4.0 out of 5 stars Starts easy, ends hard!, Oct. 10 2010
This review is from: Pensionize Your Nest Egg: How to Use Product Allocation to Create a Guaranteed Income for Life (Paperback)
This is a book that deserves to be on the bookshelf of all Canadians who have accumulated a nest egg but have little more than Government pension income when they retire. As the authors point out, most of us nurse our nest egg, spending as little as possible, to ensure that we do not run out of cash before we die. Others, in an effort to maximize their monthly income, simply convert their nest egg into joint and last annuities and enjoy the fruits of their savings. This book takes a position between these two extremes.

The early part of the book is easy reading, probably because it was written by a financial planner who understands how to explain financial matters in simple English. However, the latter part of the book is written by the Economist. He has graphs, tables, and acronyms for everything. I found it difficult to understand some of the concepts. e.g. he will write something like, "You can see this illustrated in chart 10.2" and he expects you to figure out the chart on your own.

I have another six months before I want to "pensionize" part of my nest egg, so I am sure that when I read it a second time I will get a handle on it. But, it is unfortunate that the Financial Planner didn't take charge and re-write the stuff written by the Economist.

Nevertheless, for $17 you are getting good, solid information that will help you pensionize some of your nest egg and reduce the stress that many seniors suffer as we struggle with the question of "How much can I spend?".

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

CDN$ 26.95 CDN$ 16.98