5.0 out of 5 stars It is never to late to teach the kids, Jan. 15 2012
This review is from: Money-Smart Kids (Paperback)
When I picked up this book, I thought at last a book to help us teach the kids about finances. My idea of what would be taught was frankly a bit of a mystery. There is not that much out there and my reading history has not been in that direction. Fortunately , after a few pages I started to "get it".

I especially liked the chapter on Allowances and Your Role in Raising Money Smart Kids was a good ending. There was 2 parts that almost lost me, "Fifteen & Older ( that was my challenging time frame in my own parenting where I did loose it a few times). The chapter on Credit was a bit more than most people might be able to get through, MEGO walls came up, never the less some good stuff in that Credit Chapter some complex stuff put into basic ideas that the parents need to practice themselves. I'm going to re-read it , definately concepts to teach the kids as they get older.

One area that could have been expanded upon more was the Giving section. I do not think it really was covered that much. I was anticipating some neat examples but it just never happened. That needs to be worked on I think. A little micro credit example would be a neat concept to teach kids as well. It is a small book, 80 pages packed with some many delightful tips and traps to help a parent and or grandparent guide the kids through the ages. To get the most of it, the parent needs to use it as a guide and reference and I think that will help get the results.

Overall, at under $10 it is a bargain. This will be a good investment for anyone interested in teaching kids about money, what ever the age.

I am planning on getting a few copies to gift to my own kids, with a few grandchildren around, money is sure to be a hot topic going forward. I am curious to see what happens with the grand kids, almost made me think I should start giving them an allowance to just practice the concepts. I also think the book would make a great gift for financial advisors to give and or reccomend to their clients, especially those that have young children.

Be sure and get the book, then implement the concepts and see what kind of returns you get, I think you will be pleased.

Money-Smart Kids

Cheers
Tim

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)

CDN$ 6.99 CDN$ 6.64