3.0 out of 5 stars [3.5]--Beyonce has done a 360 on this album, June 23 2007
This review is from: B Day (Audio CD)
When I heard `Déjà vu' on the radio repeatedly I still wasn't quite impress. But then I heard `Ring the Alarm' I had decided to check it out. B'Day is one of those rare albums that popular artists release that completely throw away all previous conceptions. Shedding her good girl image and reveling in angst and sexual provocateur, B proves that she's more relevant than ever. I do like this album but Beyonce borrows from a lot of people style (which she thinks is original) because `Déjà vu' is Teena Maire all day long. Moreover, you can tell she wrote `Upgrade U,' `Ring the Alarm' and `Freakum Dress' because they are not as sharp lyrical as the rest of the songs. If you are a true Beyonce fan you should know she writes her true feelings in her music. Although she is a quiet as kept type of person, Beyonce has few talents and also reveals much of herself through her music.

The Neptune's produced song `Kitty Kat' features Beyonce crying out for some lovin'. It has elements of Kelis, Marvin, and all the soul-singers, yet it's still fresh and original. On the slow jam `Irreplacable,' B sounds out on love lost and mistakes you shouldn't made. It's beautiful but still very funky. Another highlight includes the bizarre `Freakum Dress,' where Beyonce sings about enticing a stranger 'cos she ain't getting any from her man. All of this is done over the clammering Rich Harrison production. I really don't care about the amount (or quantity) of tracks that is place in an album as long as it shows some quality.

If I were to take a poll with 10 people, 7 out of 10 would prefer her freshman album rather than this one. I am very open minded to change and I embrace her new image which is sexy and physical. This album isn't bad but not fantastic. I won't be surprise if it ends up being a Grammy contender. *Although the songs mentioned are stellar. And I'm not an all around Beyonce fan, so that's saying quite a bit. I might become a Beyonce fan if she continues in this brash, raw style.

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

Reviewer