3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, But Not Impressed Either, May 5 2011
This review is from: Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Paperback)
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I've just now been able to get a copy to read.

This is a graphic adaptation of the novel of the same name and even though this is the first in the series I think it will be most enjoyed by those who have read the book. As a standalone, without knowledge of the book, the graphic novel isn't really that exciting of a story. It's been some years since I read the book and this is the only one in the series I've read, and I haven't seen the movie, so my mind wasn't fresh on the events but I do remember more happening that what happened in the graphic novel. For example, I specifically remembered a scene in the book with Medusa, which never occurred in this adaptation. It felt like explanations were missing and gaps were left in the flow of the story. I'm not that crazy with the artwork either; the faces have unnatural expressions. Overall, it's still the same story, so not a bad read, but I'm not overly impressed with this graphic adaptation.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

CDN$ 13.99 CDN$ 12.59
Reviewer

Nicola Mansfield
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

Location: Ontario, Canada