ARRAY(0xf447f30)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for beginners, lacks in "the next step"., June 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 with ASP, ColdFusion, and PHP: Training from the Source (Paperback)
I had little knowledge of coding with PHP before I bought this book, and that's precisely the reason I picked it up. I figured that I should learn how to use PHP specifically with my wonderful Dreamweaver MX, and this is the perfect book for that. It is excellent for allowing the lightbulb in your head to turn on and gets ideas and possibilities flowing in your head in only the first few chapters. I couldn't wait to start on my own site.
Within one week, I had finished the book and made large advancements in designing my own PHP based site and am loving it. It is great to go back to for reference on the hand-coding, and has allowed me to use the skills learned, twist them around and, with the helm of DW, to develop better applications. I have had this book for three weeks and it has let me rocket past my expectations.
The only problem is that I wish there were more. Now that I understand the basics, I would like the "advanced" copy of the book. I want to know more about how the PHP relates with the SQL, and samples of how could go further into my development. The book lacks on "the second step", but I suppose that would require a second book.
One reviewer stated that the book allows for no trial and error, I believe that the trial error should take place after you're finished with the book, not while reading it. Once you get to toying with your own site is when you make the errors, and then you can go back to the book and find out where you went wrong. Great book, don't hesitate, buy it if you're a beginner...it's worth it.

Review Details