5.0 out of 5 stars Good way to learn French, Dec 13 2010
This review is from: Rosetta Stone French Level 1-5 Set (CD-ROM)
I recently purchased Rosetta Stone V4 TOTALe levels 1-5.

This is an expensive piece of software but I have found it worth the investment. The software is easy and intuitive to use but the real strength of the software is the mixture of speaking, reading, listening and writing in the activities.

I have attempted to learn French a number of times (my wife speaks French) but I did not made much progress as I never felt confident enough to start speaking. With the on-line instructor led studio sessions you can practice speaking in a class like session and interact with others at the same level as you. This helps get you going and builds confidence when others can understand what you are saying. I had some issues connecting to the live studio sessions but the tech support helped me sort out the issue quickly which was great. You get access to the live studio sessions for 15 months so it is worth starting them as soon as you can to get the full benefit.

I really like the iPhone application that you get access to with the software. It has speech recognition that allows you to practice when you are away from your main PC which is fun, and my kids love the novelty. The audio companion is less useful but it does allow you to develop listening skills but will not really help with pronunciation. It is best used as a reminder.

The software also allows you to play games on your own or against other users which breaks up the course and adds a bit of fun.

Overall I really like the software, I debated buying this for 2 months vs taking lessons and I'm glad that I bought the software. From past experience I signed up for lessons and then missed half of them due to work commitments. With the software you can come back to it as time allows. Lessons from a good teachers are probably better but this is a great way to make progress if you have a challenging schedule.

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

CDN$ 499.00 CDN$ 299.40