4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable journey, Jan. 18 2000
This review is from: London: The Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I had not read Rutherfurd's other books when I picked up London, but I imagined that it was much in the epic style of James Michner whom I have read extensively. In a sense I was correct, but I was unprepared for the complexity of this book. It is easy to understand that the main character of the book is the city itself, the sheer number of other characters is a little overwelming. Where Michner takes a few families through the vagarities of history, Rutherfurd throws several families at us who are continuously intermarrying throughout the history of the city. After a while it got a little difficult to follow who was who, but it did not hinder my enjoyment of the characters at any particular moment whether he was a wealthy 3rd century Roman or a poor 19th century East-Ender.
However, the most fascinating aspect of this book was the historical growth of London. With each chapter, Rutherfurd reveals more and more characteristics of London such as how certain areas acquired their names or their architectual features. Rutherfurd shows us how gradually the Thames went from the greatest uniter of the people of London to its greatest divider.
All in all, though London didn't keep me reading until four in the morning, I always looked forward to picking it up again the next day.

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (186 customer reviews)

CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89