5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album. Horrible CD., Sept. 1 2005
This review is from: The Invisible Invasion [SONY XCP CONTENT/COPY-PROTECTED CD] (Audio CD)
Having just got into the Libertines and other British bands I asked for recommendations based on that. Someone casually mentioned The Coral and I fell in love with them after listening to their new CD, the Invisible Invasion, just once. Just a fantastic album that doesn't get old.
The downside? This isn't a CD. This is a Content Protected Coaster with what is called XPC protection. Do you want to copy this CD onto your harddrive? Sure! As long as you use protected WMA and install software on your computer. OH! You want to put it on an iPod? SORRY! Sony attempts to blame Apple for only allowing MP3, AAC (both protected and non), and Apple Lossless Codec files onto the most popular player in the planet. "We're working with them", they say, "to make Apple embrace our open standard". Their "open standard" however, is a crippled and lossy format (protected WMA) that is only supported by Microsoft and associated players.
There is a happy ending to this, however. I have found a program that lets me rip the songs from this CD to unprotected MP3 (Exact Audio Copy) so I can put it on my iPod. Sad when people who buy the CD are treated like criminals, and when its easier to just download, isn't it?

Review Details