5.0 out of 5 stars The GI Diet Has Been My 'Magic Bullet' to Weight Loss, April 16 2005
This review is from: Living the G.I. Diet: Delicious Recipes and Real-Life Strategies to Lose Weight and Keep It Off (Paperback)
I wanted to lose weight so badly that I was prepared to do anything to achieve it, except give up my favourite foods! Then I heard about the GI Diet and ordered the book right away. I found this book very easy to read while being packed with valuable nutritional information. I have never found a healthier more sensible and balanced diet anywhere! This is not just another diet but is really a new way of eating. Most diets fail because you feel deprived or you get tired of weighing or measuring or counting (grams or calories or points...)or you just know they are not healthy. The GI Diet has already made all the calculations for you. All foods are divided into three categories: Red Light, Yellow Light and Green Light (just like the traffic lights). Just eat what is on the Green Light List! (In most cases, as much as you want) The Glycemic Index measures the speed at which you digest food and convert it to glucose. Eating low GI foods causes foods to be digested slowly, leaving you feeling fuller, longer, not causing spikes in your blood sugar levels or causing your pancreas to secrete large amounts of insulin. On this diet, you do best if you eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.
All the recipes included in the book, that I have tried, have been excellent! The Baked Chocolate Mousse, the rice pudding, and the granola bars alone, got me through the first few weeks. I especially like this diet because I have lost 50 pounds ( and my husband has lost 57) and because it promotes Good Health, not just weight loss.
I've lost weight on other diets before, but always regained the weight because I never really understood 'Maintenance'. This time I get it!
I finally understand how good food promotes health while preventing disease, while a poor diet, with lots of white flour, white sugar and processed foods, puts your health at risk. The biggest bonus of being on the GI Diet, is that after a few weeks, my cravings stopped! It was like breaking an addiction! (Chocolate was my drug of choice) Now my body only gets the best fuel, and my high blood pressure and cholesterol scores all fell into place!
If you are really ready to lose weight, if you want to get control of your eating habits, this is the best, easiest, healthiest way to do it.

Review Details