5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Coming Back and You'll Never Get Away!, May 21 2004
This review is from: Truth About Addiction and Recovery (Paperback)
I have known people to sober up with 12 Step Programs. And without them. I have been sober for over 20 years and I did not avail myself of AA. According to AA, this is not possible. But AA does not see those of us who simply didn't buy into the disease model - one that oddly enough finds treatment in peer groups - disparaged by one 12 stepper below. Umm - 12 step programs ARE peer groups - nothing more happens than listening and talking - both of which can be quite magical. I just am living proof that you don't need Bill W. to do it. I didn't want to "keep coming back" to rooms of people who only had my "disease" in common. So I surrounded myself with "healthy" people. It was hard. I didn't have the excuse of "my disease talking" because I had to take responsibility for the garbage coming from my mouth. I had to take responsibility for my actions. And I did it all at once. Stanton Peele is not against AA - if it works for you. But there is precious little scientific evidence pertaining to AA (it IS an anonymous program, after all) and when a friend started in AA and worried about the "sick and suffering alcoholics" who left the program, I sought them out and found more than a few - NOT drinking. They were busy holding jobs and being in families and friendships and pursuing interests and did not want AA to be one of those interests. Of course, that is just anecdotal evidence. But it's mine and good enough for me. Just like the AA "evidence" is anecdotal. Good to see somebody not just blinding swallowing the party line.

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

CDN$ 20.00 CDN$ 14.44