5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality, Great Value, Feb. 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Holy Quran: Arabic Text-English Translation (Leather Bound)
I'm a non-Muslim interesting in learning about Islam from the source. I'm very impressed with this Q'uaran from several points: The translation is easy to follow while also presenting the original Arabic text on the same page. The use of parenthesis to help in the translation is an innovative way to avoid footnotes and preserve continuity.
There's a very thorough introduction which has the purpose of explaining not only the Holy Q'uaran's history and language, but several well chosen points that dispel many of our popular (western) misconceptions about Islam. (ie - womens rights, respect of Christianity and other religions, mis-use of the term "Jihad" etc. )
The book itself is leatherbound and very attractive with gilded edges and cloth ribbon bookmark. The paper is very high quality. I would normally expect a book of this quality to sell for twice what it is sold for here. I should also mention that the producers of this book are a non-profit established by the translator and carried on today by his family. I've had the opportunity to compare this translation with several others, and I believe it to be true and unbiased. I've also corresponded with the publishers who clearly take very great pride in the production of this book and describe their work in the project as a labor of love.

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (45 customer reviews)

Used & New from: CDN$ 34.87