5.0 out of 5 stars The circle is now complete, Sept. 19 2011
This review is from: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Box Set - [9-Disc Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Star Wars on blu-ray...it took a lot less time than Star Wars on DVD! And in special features and deleted scenes alone, it was well worth the wait. You can't do a box set like this without the bonus of unseen footage. The good news is, The Complete Saga is loaded with unseen special features and deleted scenes. In fact, the Tosche Station scene is worth the purchase alone. It's that great.

Will this be the last time we buy Star Wars? Heck, no! When 3D comes out, everybody will be having the same discussion all over again! Will Greedo still shoot first? Well, in my mind I have long accepted that Han shot first. Only in some weird Lucasverse is there a way that Greedo could shoot and miss at that range. At that range, I'm sorry, Han is toasted smuggler stew.

However about 5 years ago or so, Lucas did an official DVD reissue of the Original Trilogy, which I went out and bought on day 1. It was satisfying, it looked better than my old VHS copy, but it wasn't cleaned up nice like the special editions were. Which, in my opinion, is fine. It looks good and it's as close to your childhood memories as you'll ever get. After all, we didn't have 1080p TV tubes.

Accepting that a blu-ray version of the original Original Trilogy will never happen, I am very satisfied with my blu-ray of the Complete Saga.

The sound is awesome, very deep, and annoying my neighbor.

The video is perfect, I realize there are probably some colour changes here and there but I'm not about to do an A/B test and find them. I don't care, it's sharp and bright and clear and even Phantom Menace looks good!

Content wise, you know what? Hell I'm actually enjoying Phantom Menace. I'm lost in that moment in 1999 or whatever it was, when we sat there watching it the first time, trying to figure out who the new baddies were and checking out all the cool designs, which all stand up today. Except Jar Jar. Take him out and the movie's not half bad at all.

And on down the line, I'm not going to review the films. If you haven't seen them, there are lots of good reviews right here to read. I think you should just see them though.

Bonus featues: I wanted to watch the deleted scenes and there is good news and bad news. The bad news is, I hate how the deleted scenes are organized. You have to click the movie you want, click the planet you want, and then pick deleted scenes from the features. You can't just go to a menu called "Deleted Scenes". Anyways, these were mostly great although some action scenes were just animatics. And, I don't think these deleted scenes overlap at all with the scenes provided on previous DVD editions. For example there was no Greedo scene in the episode I deleted scenes. That goes for the special features in general...I don't think there are many that overlap at all with the ones you already have.

Highlights: As mentioned the Tosche Station scene which has all the soul of old Star Wars along with finally tying up the Biggs storyline. Also welcome was the attack on the droid control ship from Episode II -- previously only available to subsribers to Lucasfilm's Hyperspace service.

There's also an hour and a half (!) of spoofs from all over the place, including the Simpsons, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, SNL (including that hilarious Kevin-Spacey-as-Christopher-Walken-as-Han-Solo one), Colbert, That 70's Show, and many more. Most of these, I have never seen.

This is exactly what anybody who had reasonable expectations wanted.

5 stars!

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

LeBrain
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 43