3.0 out of 5 stars If in need of expert validation, this is for you..., May 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Parenting the Fussy Baby and the High-Need Child: Everything You Need to Know-From Birth to Age Five (Hardcover)
I bought this book thinking it would be nice to be able to relate to parents who had experienced these 'types' of babies (I am very wary of the term 'high need') - that perhaps they would offer some new insights or approaches I hadn't thought of. What I didn't buy it for was outside or expert validation from being criticised by family and friends for not letting my baby cry it out... I am not the type to need outside validation. Additionally, there are one too many references to God which put me off, advice like 'let go, let God' just isn't my cup of tea, but to each his own. While this book is good for mothers who doubt themselves and their own instincts as it provides the necessary 'expert,' outside validation some new mothers may desire, it is a shame we need expert validation in the first place. It doesn't take an obsessive number of kids and a PHD to be an expert parent, you only need your own baby. Rather than spending money on such advice (ie validation), perhaps you might consider just telling yourself what this book is saying at much greater length, only in four simple words: 'your instincts are right.' but you probably already knew that anyway.

Review Details