ARRAY(0xc15c4684)

4.0 out of 5 stars I was inspired by Temple's mother, July 26 2002
This review is from: Emergence: Labeled Autistic (Paperback)
As the mother of a then two-year old with autistic spectrum disorder, I read this book looking for clues to my daughter's behaviors. I already knew of Temple Grandin's work from TV news magazine coverage.
I, like other parents of children with ASD, hope that my daughter will one day grow up to be like Temple Grandin -- much like parent's of "normal" children hope that their child will grow up to be the next Mozart or Einstein.
This book never told me "why" Temple feels the way she does. But it did, in a very readable style, tell me "what" she feels - or does not feel. It gave me an insight into my own child's cravings for deep pressure and other sensory input.
The most important thing that I gained from this book was the understanding of the power that parents can and do have over the educational process for their children. The work of Temple's mother was alluded to in this book, but it is obvious that her mother was a woman who bucked the conventions of the time (the 1950's) and sought inclusive education for her daughter.
I wonder if Temple will ever realize how very special her mother is, and what a wonderful gift she has given her daughter.

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (20 customer reviews)

CDN$ 13.99 CDN$ 12.59