5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs this book!, Dec 31 2001
This review is from: The Challenging Child: Understanding, Raising, and Enjoying the Five "Difficult" Types of Children (Paperback)
I took this book out of the library because of my high-energy, aggressive 2 year old, and am now here to buy it because I need to have it by my bed until I memorize it!! Only half kidding...it has been enormously helpful in thinking about his behavior. But the surprise is, all of my other kids are in here too, as well as me and my husband! Anyone with a strong personality was probably a difficult child, at least in some ways (ask your mom!!), and this book gives you insight into how you got the way you are, and how your personality might intersect with your child's to cause trouble understanding each other.
My favorite thing about this book is the way Greenspan includes a section on "what it feels like" to be each of the types of challenging children, so you can understand that your child often really, truly, doesn't see the world at all the way you do. They are not just trying to drive you nuts, they genuinely sometimes see black when you see white! If you can get behind their eyes you can support them so much better when things get hairy.
I would agree with the other reviewers that there isn't much in this book about special needs per se-- if you're looking for a book on ADD or another issue of that sort you may not find what you need here in terms of specific information. But for garden-variety behavior issues, plain old intense kids, and parent-child communication troubles, this book is fantastic.

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16