5.0 out of 5 stars Truth is always scarier than fiction!, Feb. 21 2011
This review is from: Holy Ghosts: Or, How a (Not-So) Good Catholic Boy Became a Believer in Things That Go Bump inthe Night (Hardcover)
I suppose my title is a little misleading. This book is not necessarily scarey but it definitely is a fascinating read. I sat up on a Sunday evening and read the entire book in a few hours - I could not put it down! Then I told my husband all about it and the next day I kept on talking to anyone who would listen. As I said, it is a fascinating book and gives much food for thought. This book is the story of one man's experience with Ghosts. The author is deeply spiritual Catholic man and so, before he can even accept the fact that there might be a ghost in his home, he spends much time in prayer discerning what might be going on, and then turning to the Bible and the teachings of the Church to find out what they have to say about ghosts. Of course, what he learns is that all Christians in general and the Catholic Church specifically, believe in 'the unseen world'. An unseen world that remains a mystery.

The story is entertaining and easy to follow. Gary Jansen does a great job of combining what we know about life after death (based on the Bible and the teachings of the Church) with his own experiences. Did you realize that "Ghosts" appear in the bible? I did find the ending a little hard to swallow but it certainly makes for great thought and discussion. I did not find that this book challenged my faith but it did make me more confident in what the church teaches. Keep in mind that this is a non-fiction book.

This would be a great book for a Book Club, or even for a Bible Study group! I think Christians and non-christians alike would find it interesting.

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (3 customer reviews)

CDN$ 30.00 CDN$ 24.00