5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent financia/investment survey, Feb. 14 2007
This review is from: How to Pay Less and Save More For Yourself: The Essential Consumer Guide to Canadian Banking and Investing (Paperback)
I bought this book because I wanted to catch up on financial/investment trends prior to reviewing our RRSPs and RESP, and deciding what exactly needs to be improved or fixed. I had been taking an almost hands-off approach for several years, since all was fairly well. The only thing I have been doing, aside from contributions, is gathering all our RSP and RESP investments into accounts at a big bank discount brokerage (a minor epic I would rather forget).

I was delighted with this book! Carrick updated me nicely on the trends, giving me some new ideas and options. I now feel enthusiastic about getting back in there and re-balancing our portfolios, and using the online brokerage.

The book serves equally well if you are a beginning investor or someone who is hazy on managing your personal finances.

And the book in not a re-hash of American content. It is by a Globe & Mail writer, and 100% Canadian content. If you want more Carrick, look in Personal Finance on their site. I have found he is always worth reading.

Happily, the theme of getting value for money is only part of the story. The book is about much more than just trimming costs. Frequently Carrick cautions not to go for the cheapest option if it means losing sight of other, hidden costs or side effects.

A nice touch is the way each chapter contains sidebars that show how you can tackle a given area depending on your preference for using the Internet fully, partially, or not at all--ie good old face to face.

The writing style is light and fast, without being cute or frivolous. And there is no padding. I hate fat books. The book's size is surprising, given the amount of ground Carrick covers.

Well worth the price and your time.

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96