3.0 out of 5 stars Going Downwards, July 22 2011
This review is from: Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mass Market Paperback)
I seem to have a discordant opinion on this trilogy when I read the other reviews. In my humble opinion, the author should have stopped at the end of the first tome.

In the first book, the author does a very good job at introducing the very unique lore that he has designed for this series. I really like the pace of the story. It is concise but yet well developed. The development of politics in this world was what I liked to most with this tome. The main weakness with this tome in my opinion is the fact that the "villains" (Lord Ruler, Steel Inquisitors and Obligators) play only a passive role for most part of the novel. If it was only of this tome, I would have hesitated between giving 4 or 5 stars to Mistborn.

Unfortunately, the next tome did not live up to my expectations. For some reason, it seems that the author has made a full u-turn in the second tome. Politics were no longer at cornerstone of the story. The most interesting characters of the first tome were essentially gone. Elend (a secondary character in the 1st tome but now a main character) turned out to be very lackluster and uninteresting. I usually like it when main characters have internal conflicts, but in my opinion the author went too far with this character trait to the point where I started disliking Vin and Elend. Their romantic relationship was bland, at the edge of being lame. Some twists in the story were badly handled in my view by the author (ex: discovery of duralumin, disappearance of Marsh). The story and some new characters (Zane and Straff) however were interesting enough to get me going.

The downward spiral in terms of quality continued in the third tome. The internal conflicts and depression of some characters became too much to bare. There were chapters that I wanted to skip over depending on which characters were involved.

As much as this boxset offers a great value, my recommendation is to avoid it and to read only the first tome, which can be read as a stand alone novel.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

CDN$ 30.97 CDN$ 19.42