3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., Nov. 17 2003
This review is from: Waiting for Godot - English: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts (Paperback)
I would like to see this play live.... after reading it, I am intrigued to see actors bring it to life. It is a story written on many levels and I think the best way to understand the irony is to see it presented on stage.
I enjoyed the written piece though. It is full of wry humor and irony.
The two main characters are waiting for Godot... an unknown "authority" coming sometime... all throughout the play. They continue to wait and contemplate the meaning of life through banal conversation.
One has to wonder who Godot really is.... and why he is so important to wait for.
Perhaps Godot is the culmination of all life for these two men? A "God"-like figure, looming over us all as we wait on and on until life's ultimate endpoint.
This is strong existential writing. Beckett purports the theory that today is all there is, and the most significant thing is to live in it and exist.
I will probably need to read this one again, it is the type of writing that begs to be examined more than once. If you like comedy in an absurd light... this play is for you.

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (137 customer reviews)

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01