5.0 out of 5 stars When comparing oranges to oranges ... these are great!, Jan. 1 2011
This review is from: Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
Rather than comparing apples to oranges, I'll just talk about the orange (or the apple if you prefer).

The S-220 is perfect for those of us who need something inexpensive and that sounds good enough for us - not the audiophiles (although they may like them too)! There is no use complaining that the highs are too high, or that the lows are not low enough, or that the mids are too strong or too weak, etc., when we are talking about a simple, inexpensive unit, rather than a higher-end unit like the Kliptch ProMedias, for example, so in terms of an inexpensive set of speakers, the S-220 sounds good and handles movies, music, or games well enough.

I agree with the fact that the remote unit may be a bit flimsy looking, but we will have to see how it does in the long run. Having the volume disk near my finger tips is actually really convenient - I like that! I feel that a push-button on/off switch would have been better suited for this remote, because the little switch is a bit awkward to maneuver. The remote is fairly light, enough that it doesn't sit flush on the desktop, but someone on the US-Amazon site recommended double-sided tape to secure it to the desktop. That is a good idea. Possibly a better idea would be to use double-sided Velcro tape, which would allow you to temporarily move the unit when needed.

As mentioned on the US-Amazon site, the power cord from the sub could have been longer, but an extension or power bar easily resolves that issue. The sub itself is a perfect size and isn't bulky. It pretty much sits anywhere without its visual presence being noticed.

Some have mentioned that the satellites are wired too close together, which makes them barely able to fit on either side of a monitor. Simply, and gently, pull the wires apart, and you'll have as much distance between the two speakers as you need. It is easily done and won't harm the wiring if you are careful enough.

I got these on sale for 10 dollars less, and now that I have them, I would have been happy to have paid regular price. The sound of the S-220s is a huge improvement over my older 3-piece unit that was fine for all these years (until now that is).

I give it 5 stars, because it's a good orange compared to other oranges. ;-)

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (24 customer reviews)

Out of stock