5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING!, June 15 2007
This review is from: Daughters of the Grail (Paperback)
This is really one of the best books I have ever read. It's not Gone With the Wind or the Far Pavilions, but it's pretty darn close. So much of the historical fiction I read is centered in England, Scotland and Wales, and I enjoyed reading about this period in history in southern France and about a religion I knew nothing about (having not yet read The DaVinci Code).

This was an exciting tale of Cathars, Knights Templar, evil evil priests, Bridget and her daughter Magda - descended from Mary Magdelene, all battling the Roman Catholic Church that is bent on destroying them, and finishes with a heart-stopping page turning, can't put it down until it's done finish. It always astounds me the evil that men will do in the name of "god", and that it continues to this day.

I had found this book used in the US last year, and the first time I read it I knew nothing about Simon DeMontfort (the second) and what he tried to accomplish for England before his tragic end. Although I know the part he plays in this novel, with his [...] half brother Dominic, is just a story, it was nice to see some glimpses of him in a minor role as a young boy and then a young man. To learn more about this incredible man, please read Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh Trilogy, Here be Dragons, Falls the Shadow and The Reckoning.

I am always amazed at how this author so effortlessly sucks you into another century with her descriptions of the sights, sounds, food, clothes and battles of another time. Highly highly recommended.

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (1 customer review)

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.40