4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this book when I was learning PHP, Oct. 14 2003
This review is from: PHP: Your visual blueprint for creating open source, server-side content (Paperback)
Books on PHP are definately improving as time goes on. This is the best book I've seen so far for the beginner, and I definately wish I had it when I was started learning 3 years ago. A wide variety of functions were covered to get the novice familiar with how PHP works, giving them a good foundation to move onto more advanced books and/or tutorials.
I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the fact that it failed to stress the importance of form related security (which should definately be taught from the beginning), as well as writing with registered_globals off (which is the default setting in PHP for 4.2 or later). Many beginners who follow this book may wonder why their scripts aren't working because of it.
Overall, though, I was very impressed with the layout of the example code, with plenty of pointers explaining what each part of the code is doing, as well as how easy it was to skim the text that came with it.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (18 customer reviews)

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.17