3.0 out of 5 stars Great Premise, Uneven Execution, March 15 2010
This review is from: Being Erica: Season One Complete DVD Set (DVD)
I bought this show on DVD based partly on the glowing reviews, and both my husband and I found it above average but not a great show, as the quality of the episodes was uneven. Being Erica's main character is in her early thirties, but she goes back in time to high school or college many times and the show feels a bit "juvenile" during certain episodes. Still it's refreshingly original and it has an offbeat charm at times.

Being Erica has an interesting premise which has already been described my many reviewers here. I like that Dr. Tom's existence (is he an angel? A figment of Erica's imagination?) is never explained and is left a mystery. The actors do a great job and several episodes have well-written scripts with interesting moral dilemmas.

Some of the episodes in the season would get five stars from me, especially the ones involving Erica's family relationships. Other episodes would get two stars. A few bored me silly or had me rolling my eyes. There also seem to be some omissions in the overall story arc: Erica is in her thirties, and we never find out much about what she has been doing for the ten years since she got her Master's degree in English (it's implied she has held low-level office jobs and is considered a failure). Her subsequent career moves during the show seem unlikely, starting with the first episode where she is fired from an insurance telephone job for being "over-qualified."

Her boss and co-workers in later episodes sometimes seem like caricatures and spout ridiculous dialogue. Same with her university professors in the shows where she travels back in time. Some of the exaggeration is for comic effect, but I still found the portrayals distractingly over-the-top at times. Also, Erica has some very "privileged" assumptions that she should have a fantastic career, great relationship et cetera by the time she is thirty and oh, how could her life have gone so terribly wrong? In reality many people with brains and education don't have perfect jobs or relationships and it's just the facts of the modern world -- not the result of disastrous events and/or bad choices.

Overall an interesting show. I'm not sorry I watched it, but I doubt I'd check out future seasons.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (28 customer reviews)

CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 16.98