5.0 out of 5 stars Taking fire might back-fire Theatrical release review, Sept. 20 2012
This review is from: Prometheus - Collector's Edition [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
In Greek Mythology Prometheus presumed to steal fire from the gods for the progress of mankind. He was banished, punished and bound for daring to interfere with domain of the gods.

Similarly the author of Frankentein called her book the modern Prometheus, where a scientist presumed to usurp the very process of creation itself, and created a monster using lightning.

In Prometheus the movie scientist Elizabeth Shaw played by Noomi Rapace, and her partner makes a series of scientific discoveries which shows that we were put here by extraterrestrials, and embark on a funded mission to a distant planet to meet these aliens.

While the scientists aims are pure other people on board have mixed agendas. We have a soulless humanoid played by Michael Fassbender, and a ruthless female leader played by Charlize Theron and the mysterious owner of the company.

Director Ridley Scott directed Alien starring Sigourney Weaver, and I think Prometheus will please fans of Alien and win new fans. Like Alien we have a heroic female protagonist played by Noomi Rapace from the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series. Their arrival on the planet sets in motion a series of events with implications beyond the mission.

While it appears to be a dead planet there is mischief on board the craft and danger on the planet itself.

The alien planet is menacing as you expect, (so rarely do we meet friendly aliens), and if there are alien life forms they may not be friendly.

There are several surprises and some well crafted scenes, which were quite originally done, including the duffel bag, and an improvised medical procedure which I found highly intriguing.

One of my favorite lines from the movie: 'We may have gotten off on the wrong foot.'

I love movies with a strong female protagonist, and Noomi Rapace really excels at this type of role. If you have seen the Alien movies, I think you will appreciate that he has given a style of science fiction that he pioneered a fresh and interesting twist. Who can forget that famous scene with John Hurt in the original Alien?

Will Prometheus spawn a sequel? You could argue that it already has. I cannot speak as yet to how it will be on Blu Ray except to say that it was a visually stunning experience in the theater.

I think you will enjoy it, and I hope this was helpful.

Review Details