3.0 out of 5 stars A Good But Uneven Album, April 6 2001
This review is from: The Bodyguard (Audio CD)
If it weren't for songs like "I Have Nothing," "Queen of the Night" and "Run to You," I'd probably give this album only two stars. With the exception of "I Will Always Love You," the Whitney Houston selections really make this album while the rest of the material is merely second-rate.
"I Will Always Love You" is one of those songs that no matter who performs it, it's still a LOUSY song! This song got an inordinate amount of air play when it was released as a single nine years ago and it quickly wore out its welcome. If I never hear this song again, that'll be fine with me. Whenever I play this CD, I always skip over this track.
"I Have Nothing" is a song that starts you off easy and then takes you to the top. WH delivers this song the only way she can and as far as I'm concerned, this is the best song on the album.
"Queen of the Night" is a solid rocker that has a Van Halen edge to it. WH steps out of her balladeer mode and gives an in-your-face performance. This is a good song that shows a different side of Houston's musical persona.
As for the rest of the material on this album, the only song that's half-way decent is the SOUL SYSTEM'S semi-rap version of the old Bill Withers hit, "Lovely Day." If you liked the original version of this song, you probably won't like this rendition. But if you're a "90's" guy/gal, it'll probably appeal to you.
Having heard some of Joe Cocker's material during the '70's, I can honestly say the man hasn't changed which is to say he still can't sing! Cocker is bereft of any musical talent and his duet with Sass Jordan only makes a bad situation worse.
More often than not, soundtrack albums tend to be a lot better than the movie itself. In this case, the soundtrack is only somewhat better. Well, at least here you don't have to listen to Kevin Costner's insipid dialogue.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (56 customer reviews)

Reviewer