3.0 out of 5 stars Japanese language track with subtitles better than English, June 30 2003
This review is from: Kiki's Delivery Service (DVD)
First off, I would like to say that I give the Japanese track 5 stars. It is heart-warming and would be great for kids - provided that they could keep up with the subtitles, of course - and adults. However, I gave the DVD three stars because when Disney dubbed this, they decided to change the dialogue more than was necessary to match the lip-flaps. Jiji the cat became more sarcastic and negative. Disney added many lines for him where there weren't any in the original, which did not add anything to the movie and made him seem more unpleasant. Many of the minor characters also became ruder. A truck driver yells angrily at Kiki when he said nothing in Japanese, and a little boy calls a present he gets "dumb." The kid was a bit annoying in the original, but he's really a brat in the English-dubbed version. I'm not a parent, but I know that many parents would show this to their kids. The changes don't make the movie terribly unpleasant, my 12-year-old sister enjoyed it, but I find it rather irresponsible of Disney to purposely change a movie to be less kid-friendly and happy than it was originally, especially when the movie is targeted at kids.

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (211 customer reviews)

CDN$ 87.87