3.0 out of 5 stars This Book Should Be a Mystery, March 24 2001
This review is from: Thing of Beauty (Mass Market Paperback)
I read, loved, and hated, this book. It was very painful for me to read. I initally purchased it because I have family members who have ties to heroin and so I wanted an inside peek into this secretive world. Well, this book gave me that peek, however, it still didn't supply my need to understand "why".
Gia's life seemed very typical to me; it was riddled with painful life altering traumas, the kind we all experience. Dysfunction, divorce, adolescent anxst. The differece with Gia, however, was that she became a supermodel. Is this what made her a heroin addict? I really don't know, but I really don't think so. This book does not answer that question. That in itself was frustrating. WHY?
It was frustrating to see her completely destruct.
I am not sure that the author had a complete idea of Gia's family life as he wrote about them as if they were complacent sideliners one minute and the next minute it was if they were loving, supportive caregivers. Perhaps they were both. I guess that is what it is like trying to live with drug addicted family members.
In summary, this book is more about drug addiction and the sadness it cultivates than any 'glamour' related story of a model gone bad.
Be prepared to feel sad, and numb, when you finish this book.

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (55 customer reviews)

CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89