countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, if revisionist, Feb. 24 2010
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
I don't understand the negative reviews. Clearly this book was not intended for some people. Not quite the frothy, libidinous ride you wanted? Tough.

Thomas Cromwell was a Machiavellian sort, at least if you read the standard history. However, this novel does a superb job of getting us inside Thomas Cromwell's head and convincing us he was a sympathetic sort of guy and cheer for him, even though we who know our history know it cannot work out. Frankly, I rarely enjoy historic fiction as much as I enjoyed this, so I have to give it 5 stars.

The best way I can describe it is that it almost feels like reading a good interpretive history combined with a novel. That best of both worlds feel of combined interpretive non-fiction with the feel of an authoritative novel is what I like so much. That's not to say it's an easy or thrill-a-minute read, which may be where all the grousing is coming from. If you prefer a more pulpy or frothy read, you may be best advised to stay away and stop delivering one star reviews to a book that doesn't deserve them.

Customer Discussions

We're sorry, this discussion has been removed.

Return to the Amazon home page

Review Details