4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, loyal to the original book, Nov. 12 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2-Disc Deluxe Edition) (DVD)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favorite books as a child, so when I heard Hollywood was making a new movie based on the book, I jumped at the chance to see it. Having seen the first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which Gene Wilder starred in, I was a little skeptical about Johnny Depp stepping into his shoes in the new version. However, to my surprise the new version is closer to the original storyline of Roald Dahl's book. My only complaint was the look of Willy Wonka. He looked a little too eccentric for my taste, especially his flashback scenes to when he was a child. The actor who played Grandpa Joe was wonderful, but I wished Charlie had a little more personality. He was a bit dry compared to the other children who met their demises in the factory. I loved the sets with all the candy and chocolate, very creative, just as I imagined from the book. One part which I was disappointed in was the Oompa Loompas. They were only played by one character, not very original. It was a little boring to see the same person again and again. Overall this movie is great for anyone who loved the book and the original movie.

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 16.75