4.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you are looking for.........., July 2 2000
This review is from: Awakening The Spine (Paperback)
There have been a number of reviews of this book already. Why add one more?
Well, the existing reviews seem to fall into the "love it or hate it" category. I read just about the whole of this book in a very understanding bookshop in Sydney. I did not buy it then; I was looking for more "instructional" books. But I remember more of the content than I would have believed possible on so short an acquaintance, in fact I was quite sure I had bought a copy until I had gone through everything we shipped back from Australia. Alas it is not currently available, otherwise I would certainly be buying a copy right now.
The book is valuable for its reflection of a life inspired by yoga, and as a demonstration of what can be achieved by someone who came to yoga relatively late in life. Her anecdotes of meetings with the 'giants' of modern yoga underpin the theme that finding the correct teacher is crucial to a student's development. And none of this is presented with the self-serving egotism which, I'm afraid, disgraces many well-known writers on yoga (even some of the best).
Not a book to buy if you are short of cash, but certainly one to read - and to lend to your friends.

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (17 customer reviews)

CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80