countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more Home vpcflyout All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to the Resident Evil Franchise, Jan. 9 2011
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife / Resident Evil: L'au-delà (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First) I do not have the Bluray or DVD, so I can't speak on the quality of the product, but I did watch the movie in the theaters (in 3D).

Second) I have watched and enjoyed the previous 3 Resident Evil movies and I have played and enjoyed all of the primary Resident Evil games (0-5).

With these two points in mind, I can honestly say that Resident Evil: Aftermath is a good movie and a good edition to the Resident Evil franchise.
The most frusterating thing I hear about the Resident Evil movies is that they don't follow the game storylines. This is simply untrue. The movies fit nicely in amongst the game franchise as follows:

The first movie takes place between Resident Evil 0 and 1.
The second movie takes place during Resident Evil 2 and 3.
The third movie takes place after Resident Evil 3.
The fourth movie takes place between Resident Evil 4 and 5.

Are there still some holes in the plot, sure. But they do there best with a 2 hour movie, aimed at appealing to a mass audience as well as the "fans", while staying as true to such a vast franchise as possible.

The biggest difference and arguement Resident Evil game fans have is "Alice". However, I don't understand their frusteration, there's no reason an "Alice" character couldn't co-exist in the overall franchise storyline while not appearing in the games. The games don't cover the ENTIRE world at any one point!

The following are a few elements to the movie that I enjoyed, without spoiling anything for you:
The movie starts after Resident Evil: Extinction (I think a year later or something) and does a good job of continuing the established movie storyline.
Wesker is in the movie and absolutely fantastic.
There are a LOT of cool bits from the games Resident Evil 4 and 5 (primarily characters and some plot points).
The fight scenes are very cool.

In conclusion, I can recommend this movie to anyone who:
Likes the Resident Evil franchise as a whole (and still isn't caught up on any stupid plot holes/Alice from the movie franchise).
Likes the previous 3 Resident Evil movies (and I there are already rumblings of a 5th movie being made by the same group of people!).
Likes action/horror movies which focus on action, gunplay, fighting, and scaring the crap out of audiences.

Overall, I give the movie a 4 out of 5.

Customer Discussions

We're sorry, this discussion has been removed.

Return to the Amazon home page