4.0 out of 5 stars The "fast food" of bread baking..., May 22 2009
This review is from: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking (Hardcover)
While this book is great for those who maybe have never made bread in their lives, or those who are very short on time but would still like hot oven fresh bread, those of us who enjoying making bread the old way may not find this quite enough.

The recipes are very clear, and the bread itself is decent, but you get what you put into it. The crust is very hard and quite thick and just not exactly what I am looking for in bread that I would chose to make on a regular basis. However, I do use the recipe when making bread with my 4 year old as it allows him to play around and we don't have to worry too much.

In the end, this is 'fast food' bread. Better than store bought, but not quite as good as if you'd taken your time and made a traditional loaf. I do recommend the book to new bread bakers though, just for the sake of learning to handle dough and shape it!

All this aside, my son LOVES the bread we make with this recipe, whether I make it alone or he helps, so clearly it is still pretty good and perhaps I am just too much of a traditionalist! ;)

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 22.56