3.0 out of 5 stars Average, Nov. 2 2002
This review is from: PHP Developer's Dictionary (Paperback)
Nothing too spectacular here. Basically it is the manual from PHP.net reworded a bit and put in a book. What really disappointed me was that I could find no reference at all to the manual on PHP.net. I really thought they should have included some type of mention in the Acknowledgements section.
On to the book. They do provide a brief introduction to PHP. It is exactly that, brief. It is not meant to be exhaustive as this book is a reference book, not a tutorial.
Before I got this book, I exclusively used the PHP.net manual to look up functions and such. When I got this book, I really didn't think it would be of any use. I have found, however, that by keeping it right there on the desk I do look things up in it. Sometimes it just feels better to look something up in a good old paper book. It is also nice to be able to have the page open and glance back at your code to compare syntax.
Would I recommend this book? It all depends what you plan to use it for. The manual will definitely suffice and will be more current. But, if you are just itching to get a PHP reference manual in a hard copy, this is your choice.

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (6 customer reviews)

Used & New from: CDN$ 5.09