ARRAY(0xb5a26bdc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another step forward!, Sept. 29 2011
This review is from: Wilson;Steven Grace for Drowni [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Steven Wilson has to be the busiest man in music right now. He records music in four different bands, he puts out solo albums and he is the king of 5.1 mixing. So how after doing all that he had time to make his second solo outing a double CD is beyond me. The harder thing to believe is it's good. Don't get me wrong this is not "Fear Of A Blank Planet" but it's not far off. Parts of this collection of songs remind me of king crimson, some remind me of Miles in his fusion period (not his heavy stuff but the songs miles let breath) but none of it sounds like him trying to be them. Steven Wilson has a real gift of taking other people's sounds and shaping them into his own. Kind of like Bowie in the 70's. This Blu ray does take another step in the evolution of his music and as always the 5.1 mix is as good as they get. He seems to be getting better as a singer with each record as well. He has always had a nice sounding voice but he can do more with it now. The vocals at the beginning of the disc almost have a David Crosby / Graham Nash feel to them. If I have anything negative to say about this Blu ray is that without the division of the two discs that the CD version has this recording does go very long. But I feel that way of all double albums. Then again that's why we can program our players! This is a worthy addition to his already great body of work.

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 16.99