ARRAY(0xa9aa82f4)

1.0 out of 5 stars The Great Raid, Jan. 7 2006
This review is from: The Great Raid - Exclusive Uncensored Director's Cut (Bilingual) (DVD)
After reading the book "Ghost Raiders" 15 years ago, I was very eager to watch this movie. I loved the great detail of how this operation was planned and conducted and painstackingly made into literature. History is my passion, and details should not be ignored when it comes to transform literature into celluloid.
The movie allowed too much liberties, very important aspects
where overlooked. Soldiers who want to join the rangers have to undergo extremely tough training. All the hard bonebreaking work to accomplish the breakout, the sweat, the dirt and tears that went into it, are just not captured in the movie. Some veterans might take offense in this.
During the whole movie I could not help myself, but thinking that the Rangers felt more like
middle class country-club boys on a boy-scout mission, than being actual combat soldiers. Something was not right. Having been a soldier myself, I remember how we defined jokes, espirit-du-corps, and a very special kind of comradeship. The book did a very good job, the movie failed. The movie "Band of Brothers" captured this feeling, this movie failed.
Being a scale model painter, I also noticed, that they got some of the japanese uniforms wrong and the japanese tank drivers did not use american pilot-issue goggles. The historical advisor must have been on a shoe string budget.
I also could not help feeling, that a political agenda was behind the movie script. So much in fact, that I could not continue enjoying this movie as an historical epic more like:
"Is This, the producers movie, a vehicle for current political messages ?"

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (3 customer reviews)

CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 14.98