4.0 out of 5 stars No pain, no gain-Braun 7681 Epilator, Nov. 13 2012
This review is from: Braun SE 7681 Silk-Epil Wet and Dry Epilator (Silver) (Health and Beauty)
I think I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I have waxed my own legs, underarms and bikini line, and I don't find that pain even close to unbearable. I do not think the pain is unique to this epilator, I think any device with 40+ tweezers yanking hair out at the same time will hurt. The first time I epilated my legs, my eyes watered. The first time I epilated my underarms it was torture. It felt like I was carving into my skin with a hot serrated knife. I have yet to attempt the bikini line...

BUT despite the pain, I had great results. And every time I go back to epilate again, it hurts a little less. The first time I used it I thought I'd have to return it because I didn't think I could get through the first epilating session, but once you do it is less painful than waxing.

Here's some tips for the first time:
1) There is a small window of perfect hair length for epilation. If the hair is too long it is much more painful. If the hair is too short the tweezers won't grab the hair. Err on the side of too short, in my opinion and if nothing happens try again in a day or two. For me, about 5 days after shaving is the best time. Approximately 1/8" I think...
2) Use the massage tip for your first time on your legs, and the underarm tip for your underarms. It makes a huge difference. The massage tip distracts from the pain a bit, especially in the super sensitive parts like knees and ankles. The underarm tip allows for more precision.
3) This particular epilator comes with Oil of Olay pre-epilation wipes. They work. I wouldn't have gotten through my first underarm epilation without them. Now I don't use them at all, but for the first time they are a must!
4) There are two speeds. I use the slower speed, and I find it more effective that way, and slightly less painful. It does take longer though.

Just some things about this epilator:
1) The light is bright enough to epilate in the dark if you really wanted to. My bathroom is poorly lit, so this is a plus.
2) It can be used in the shower or bath, which I'd imagine helps with the pain, although I've never tried it.
3) Shaver part isn't the greatest but it gets the job done.

TL;DR: First time is SUPER painful, each time thereafter is less so. It's worth the price and pain to not deal with stubble 5 hours after shaving or messy wax and creams. Before you give up, read my tips. I'd recommend this for sure as long as you can get past the initial epilation.

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (48 customer reviews)

CDN$ 139.99 CDN$ 110.24