2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart..., Aug. 14 2009
This review is from: Boutique Knits (Paperback)
I bought this on the recommendation of someone who had knit one of the projects (the argyle lace hat) and said the book was nice. Unfortunately I don't like the patterns. I didn't know boutique meant "eccentric" in American. I thought it meant exclusive, as in everyone would want it, but you can only buy it at an upscale location. Uh oh! My bad!

The pros are that, yes, as another reviewer said, it's a gorgeously edited book.(This earns it one star on its own). I think the good editing and the quality photography actually makes the cover pattern look better on the cover than it does inside, (very disappointing). To say the least, some of the nicest patterns look nicer than the effort put into designing them deserves because the photos are so well taken, for instance the Silk Bow Scarf.

It gets another star for a handful of patterns I do like, the argyle lace hat, the ruffled plain talk mittens, the teak bittersweet gauntlets, the pseudo shibori scarf (and the sideways grande hat, I think... it might grow on me).

Everything else, is just so off the wall that it will NEVER survive the fading knitting craze. Many of the patterns in this book will once be gazed at by another generation of knitters who will scratch their head thinking WTF?

My favourite pattern is the argyle lace hat for which I bought this book. My least favourite pattern is the half felted bag, (looks like a mishapen candy, go ravelry it!) although the half felted scarf (three pieces held together by two buttons) comes close. Lazy design. Fugly winner is Fawn Earflap Hat. Fugly honorable mentions to Whiskey Felted Cap and Hoodie Devoted.

I really didn't like this book and felt disappointed by the patterns. Maybe some more fashion forward knitters will enjoy them. I would simply urge you to look up pictures of the designs before you make up your mind, because I believe this is truly hit or miss.

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 16.60