Auto Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care boutiques-francophones Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store NFL Tools

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great recording..., July 9 2003
This review is from: Die Zauberflote Comp (Audio CD)
I am preparing the role of Pamina and got my hands on pretty much every recording I could find. This isn't my favorite, but it's very close.
When listening to the plethora of recordings, you find out very quickly that tempos in this opera are all over the place. However, this is the one recording where I feel the tempos are spot on (which doesn't surprise me with Solti directing traffic). Some may say the directing isn't "fresh", but I personally don't like too many surprises in terms of interpretation.
Solti, the orchestra and the singers are all in great form, however I like my Queens a little less screechy. Sumi Jo just doesn't scare the bejeezus out of me like June Anderson does. And although Ziesak is a wonderful Pamina, there are a couple of times she pushes her voice slightly beyond beautiful. (But in my opinion, everyone plays second "flute" to Barbara Bonney's Pamina.)
Overall, a very good recording with fresh singers and a great conductor.

Review Details