5.0 out of 5 stars Physically beautiful, wise, if (for me) slightly more emotionally distanced than 'Annie Hall'. Finally available on blu-ray!, April 14 2011
This review is from: Manhattan (DVD)
One of the most stunningly beautiful to look at films of the last 50 years, made with great wit, and full of strong
observations about loss, aging, and how we lie to ourselves.

But, personally, It doesn't quite rise to the level of `Annie Hall' for me in terms of timelessness or emotional impact.

It's a film I deeply admire, respect, see why others have it on their '10 best of all time' lists, etc. but feel guilty
that I can't unreservedly love. Somehow all the adult characters' self-obsessed narcissism keeps me at arms length.
I identify with moments, but -- unlike 'Annie Hall' - not the whole.

That said, it's strengths are so strong, and it has affected so many so deeply that its any film lover owes themselves
the chance to see. Among other things, Gordon Willis' photography will leave you with
images you'll never forget.

And as nice as the DVD transfer was, the beautiful new blu-ray goes it one better. This film has a depth
and immediacy on blu-ray that rivaled my memories of seeing it for the first time on the big screen. Of
course, as always with Woody, there are still no real extras, but these images are so great, that you
owe yourself the blu-ray version.

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (77 customer reviews)

CDN$ 15.98 CDN$ 7.74
Reviewer

K. Gordon
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 23