3.0 out of 5 stars It was all right, but gets rather silly, Jan. 15 2012
This review is from: Wings (Paperback)
I liked this book, but then I didn't. The more I read further into this book, I almost wanted to drop it, but I didn't because curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know what was going on.

You have to wonder about Laurel's parents. Laurel doesn't eat like normal teens, and drinks up on the sodas. Yet her mom is okay with that? her parents are pretty much oblivious to everything regarding Laurel and this is where it gets unrealistic. It got a teensy bit worse when her good pal David seems to be VERY accepting of who Laurel really is. He doesn't think it's strange? he had no hesitations? he just shrugs and gets along with it? if David had been skeptical at first, it would have made this whole situation a little bit real. BUT! What bothered me the most was how in the end, once Laurel explains everything to her parents...they were just ok with it. Um..what? really? they just suddenly thought: 'okay honey that's nice. Run along, play with your new friends and hope your new outlook on life is great' WTF?! At this point because it was at the end, I resorted to eye rolling. It was just too late into the book to throw it against the wall.

So, despite all of this silliness, there was a couple of things I liked. The world building was pretty good. The fantasy aspect and the magical places are interesting. The plot itself was an all right read and the pace made it for a quick read through. Character-wise, I thought David was the best one of all of them. Just because I thought he really was such a sweet guy after all. (He'd have to be sweet, to be so easily accepting to Laurel). Tamani on the other hand resembled a very jealous possessive guy who has severe issues and overall I found him downright annoying. His little comments here and there annoyed me and I wanted either David or Laurel to kick him in the face somehow.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this. A lot of readers seemed to have liked this book a lot. I'd say there's better books featuring magical fae out there. I'd say try out Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston instead. For this one, take it or leave it.

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89