5.0 out of 5 stars Memories that stick forever, July 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: War and Remembrance: Part Two (DVD)
I've yet to view this DVD set - I just found it, and made my order on here. But even just the emotions that I feel right now - remembering something I saw on TV 15 years ago - speak for the power of it.
I was a teenager when this miniseries was originally broadcast on British TV. With regard to the characters and acting, I can't give an honest opinion - I really can't remember that well. What sticks in my mind mind so vividly is it's portrayal of the Holocaust. Even as I write this, I have tears in my eyes remembering what I saw. Nothing before or since has made it so real.
To see those people - men, women and children - being stripped, shaved, and led to the gas chambers, and to know that you are seeing an entirely accurate recreation of what actually happened, is agonising. The characters may be fictional, but they only serve to emphasise that there was a real life behind every one of those statistics. I think the author and screenwriters were quite purposeful in taking their time to create characters that the viewer relates to, only to watch them be murdered, man woman and child. It's chilling but compelling. I think it should be required viewing.

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (17 customer reviews)

CDN$ 227.66