3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but heavy on the melodrama with an extra helping of cheese at times, Feb. 8 2012
This review is from: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (DVD)
Series 2 of Downtown Abbey is not bad, I enjoyed it, but it does load up on melodrama to the point where I caught myself in the middle of an eye-roll a few times. That said, I was expecting it to be a bit over-the-top on cheesy drama so I wasn't disappointed and still enjoyed the series.

The good: Costumes, location, cast are excellent, just like the first series, and most of the story was enjoyable. I enjoyed the WWI landscape (even though they speed through events quickly); having seen many WWI-themed shows from a Canadian perspective (where the war is overseas and not in your back yard) it was interesting seeing one from a British perspective. Of course at its heart, Downtown Abbey is still more of a soap opera than a factual accounting of WWI, but it is still good.

The bad: Some of the story lines are way over the top and there are occasionally very forced moments of drama which left me shaking my head a bit and as I said earlier, wanting to roll my eyes. Most of the characters are great, some are really unbelievable though. The "villains" (Thomas in particular) are almost cartoonish at times; I almost wished Thomas had a Machiavellian moustache at times so the he could twirl it and give a hearty cackle, just to complete the effect.

There are some great moments and some really hollow moments. I'm not sure I'd watch it over and over but it was okay and worth watching at least once.

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (165 customer reviews)

CDN$ 47.99 CDN$ 16.52