march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Sandy & David fan!, June 16 2013
This review is from: The Ghost of Ramshaw Castle (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm grateful to discover Canadian Robert Sutherland and wish his Sandy & David series were longer because he's made me a fan! Mislabelled as 'young adult', these have the feel of contemporary material. I deduced based on Ontario school graduation, that David was at least 19 in "Mystery At Black Rock Island". By this third volume he's surely 21 and the educated, composed Sandy at least the same. I also learned that Robert Sutherland strove for adult fiction. Publisher feedback predicated he'd be a smash for teens. It doesn't mean the protagonists are teens, for we often admire someone older than we are. I get the sense he merely toned down a few aspects, because it never feels like I'm reading beneath my demographic. These are great miseries.

Like many, David is a Canadian with Scottish roots who travelled to see the country for himself. He formed a bond with Sandy, self-possessed with the unique skill set of living at sea with her uncle and intimately knowing the Hebrides. After dodging terrorists where they were stranded on little-known Black Rock Island, it seems that Sandy next visits David's homeland in "The Loon Lake Murders". I didn't own that novel, which worked out all right because I leaped into "The Ghost Of Ramshaw Castle"; continuing from the first mystery.

After identification as a terrorist, the owner of Ramshaw castle is imprisoned. It becomes a museum and hotel, in which Sandy and Aulay MacLure work. David accepts a summer job and is thrust into another gruelling predicament, when legends combine with a murder and suspicious group of guests. I consistently praise this series with wonderful exposure to customs, geography, and tremendously positive characters. If not containing the paranormal, referring to mysticism like ghosts and fairies raises my level of interest ever higher.

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (1 customer review)

Out of stock