3.0 out of 5 stars Just as the director intended....., March 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Bee Gees One Night Only (DVD)
In response to the review from Mississippi, I would say yes, anyone that does not think the quality of the recording is on par with others such as Hell Freezes Over, A Black and White Night, and Live at the Beacon should check out their system....this recording is exactly as the director/producer intended. That, however, is where I take exception....
I own the aforementioned music DVDs and probably close to 60 others. I believe that one of the best uses a surround system can be put to is the playback of a concert video/DVD. You can at least watch them more than twice, which is more than I can say for DVD movies. The price of live concerts is a lot higher than going to the movies these days, making them a much better buy. Yes I have an up-to-date system and have spend considerable time, effort, and money making my environment the best that it can be. For example: Most do not go to the length of getting out the tape measure to set the correct delay compensation due to distance nor do they run test and measurement programs such as ETF5 from Accoustisoft against their setups. So I believe that my system is working correctly.
Now to the point: The totally underused center channel will be very disconcerting for the average listener, especially on a DTS disc. The full field front spatial characteristics of the recording do not produce the even concert sound as experienced sitting in the sweet spot at a live concert. Not in the way that Hell does or even the onstage effect that Black and White gives. I really thought that the director/producer would take visual and sound ques into consideration in mix down, but this is not the case. When Celine sings she seems to be coming from the back of the stage, when in fact, she is right out there front and center. There were at least three vocal mics at center stage used to rercord that number, but you would be hard pressed to decide if there was more than one if you closed your eyes during playback.
The video quality is just average, mostly due to the lighting and visual effects present in the hall. The sound is crisp and the bass is full in most cases. Some of the more driving numbers will require that your bass management be setup correctly so as to direct the intensity where it can be handled properly.
All in all not a bad walk down memory lane for some of us older types, now that we can afford the gear to reproduce it.

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (149 customer reviews)

CDN$ 87.92