5.0 out of 5 stars Great jQuery book for beginners, Sept. 26 2010
This review is from: jQuery in Action, Second Edition (Paperback)
I read this book with some knowledge of Javascript and very little knowledge of jQuery.

By the time I was finished reading the book, I knew enough about jQuery to tackle any challenges related to client-side scripting that I needed to tackle for my project.

The book does a solid review of the core jQuery library covering anything I felt I needed to know about jQuery to be autonomous with the library and then some.

Everything is explained clearly and in enough details to get a firm grasp about the nuances of the covered APIs.

All the API functions are detailed using a full function specification with complete coverage of the function behavior, parameters and return values.

Tangeant concepts needed to understand how the jQuery API works (cross-browser specific behavior, various standards, some less obvious Javascript features, etc) are also covered along with best practices when coding with jQuery and html/Javascript in general.

Readers that don't know any Javascript at all might be hard pressed to follow (maybe read a couple of Javascript tutorials first at the very least), but for those who are familiar with Javascript and desirous to know more about jQuery will find that this book really is a complete package that covers everything you need to know to autonomously develop your own complex feature-rich jQuery based client-side code.

Note: The second part of the book (about jQuery UI) was of lesser interest to me so I only skimed through it, but it looked good too. This review pertain to the first part of the book covering the jQuery core library however.

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

CDN$ 56.99 CDN$ 29.78